Who remembers 'The Nailmakers'?

rincewind

Yeh he was the oldest of the Brothers, I've not seen him for years the last time was in the Horse and Groom.

nor me ,he was a skinhead and a blade last time i saw him could av been 30 odd years ago,he didn´t look too good at that time,hope he´s ok. we went to millwall once around 1971ish ,went on their kop ,not for long !!! lol.i went out with one of his girlfriends ,between her and any bovver who was the hardest !!!??!! thats enuff of that ,going off target now !!

nor me ,he was a skinhead and a blade last time i saw him could av been 30 odd years ago,he didn´t look too good at that time,hope he´s ok. we went to millwall once around 1971ish ,went on their kop ,not for long !!! lol.i went out with one of his girlfriends ,between her and any bovver who was the hardest !!!??!! thats enuff of that ,going off target now !!

EX girlfriends that shud be

Tony and their Pete were Blades when they were younger, they used to knock about with Dave Gibson [Gibby] another lad off the valley.

I remember being in Samanthas nightclub one night and Gibby said "shall we hitch hike it to tottenham tonight to see the Blades tomorrow" so we did.

We lost 5-0 and scrounged a lift back on the team coach which was not unusual in those days.

That was in 1976.

The Nailmakers was supposed to be the oldest pub in Sheffield, older than the Queens Head in Pond St.

The trouble was it wasn't in Sheffield when it was built, it was in Derbyshire, it was only when they extended the Sheffield boundary ( when they built the estate ) that it was included in the Sheffield area. When I first went in (about 1960) the entrance used to be on the left hand side of the pub.

Oldest pub in Sheffield? Always a question for good debate.

The Nailmakers Arms has held its licence the longest, possibly since around 1627. The Old Queen's Head is the oldest building that is currently used as a pub and is thought to date from around 1475, but didn't get a licence until c1851.

So it depends how the question is phrased.

1. What is the oldest pub in Sheffield? In my opinion that has to be the Nailmakers imho, irrespective of boundary changes, since the question is set in the present.

2. What is the oldest building operating as a pub in Sheffield? Has to be The Old Queen's Head, no arguments there.

3. What pub has the oldest surviving license in Sheffield? Now it gets interesting, and I have heard the claim made for the Brown Bear with a licence from 1822. But other pubs might be even older.

4. What is the oldest non-surviving (commonly referred to as the first) in Sheffield? I've no idea.

Oldest pub in Sheffield? Always a question for good debate.

The Nailmakers Arms has held its licence the longest, possibly since around 1627. The Old Queen's Head is the oldest building that is currently used as a pub and is thought to date from around 1475, but didn't get a licence until c1851.

So it depends how the question is phrased.

1. What is the oldest pub in Sheffield? In my opinion that has to be the Nailmakers imho, irrespective of boundary changes, since the question is set in the present.

2. What is the oldest building operating as a pub in Sheffield? Has to be The Old Queen's Head, no arguments there.

3. What pub has the oldest surviving license in Sheffield? Now it gets interesting, and I have heard the claim made for the Brown Bear with a licence from 1822. But other pubs might be even older.

4. What is the oldest non-surviving (commonly referred to as the first) in Sheffield? I've no idea.

Thre's a large thread on this subject and the "Sheaf" by far outdates the Old Queens head.

Tony and their Pete were Blades when they were younger, they used to knock about with Dave Gibson [Gibby] another lad off the valley.

I remember being in Samanthas nightclub one night and Gibby said "shall we hitch hike it to tottenham tonight to see the Blades tomorrow" so we did.

We lost 5-0 and scrounged a lift back on the team coach which was not unusual in those days.

That was in 1976.

lol ,good old days pal .i knew gibby too ,might have even known you at that time. trev hill used to go in the nailmakers i think,i used to hang about with him at that time ,even tho´he was wendy fan !!

lol ,good old days pal .i knew gibby too ,might have even known you at that time. trev hill used to go in the nailmakers i think,i used to hang about with him at that time ,even tho´he was wendy fan !!

You did know me pal through the days at Josies and Barrat and his crowd.

Your old gaffer at Josies [DA] didn't like me but it never stopped me going in.

Archived