Cyril Archer, the last wheelwright in Sheffield.

rincewind

Just behind the Bagshawe Arms was a wheelwrights workshop, with a forge, workshops, and the whole lot. Back in the 70's, my uncle used to build boats, and he was allowed to build them in Cyril's yard. Cyril and his sister Gwen, used to sell paraffin, and as I remember, they had no electricity in their house. Can anyone remember, or tell me what happened to all the tools etc. The place was a museum in itself before it was pulled down to build sheltered housing.

Just behind the Bagshawe Arms was a wheelwrights workshop, with a forge, workshops, and the whole lot. Back in the 70's, my uncle used to build boats, and he was allowed to build them in Cyril's yard. Cyril and his sister Gwen, used to sell paraffin, and as I remember, they had no electricity in their house. Can anyone remember, or tell me what happened to all the tools etc. The place was a museum in itself before it was pulled down to build sheltered housing.

Funny I Dont remember it.. But there were some old buildings down the lane.I used to graze my horse in the field at the back of the Bagshaw. It was owned by the Skeltons(George) I think..Brothers name Herbert. They also farmed at Coal Aston..Used to go potatoe picking and helping with the wheat harvest..YEEEARS AGO

Archived