St Patrick's Day Tent - Fargate

Andy394

No I didnt, I simply asked why, when you said that you wouldnt be playing them.

Classic!

Hello Mr. Pot :wave:

Jongo never said anything of the sort :nono:

Thats why...

Mr.Rake.....

..I gCorcaigh, gan dabht, sé an langer!

St. Pats day in Ireland will include hundreds of St. Patricks Day Marches, these are in celebration of fallen rebels such as Sean South and numerous others, these marches are a way of raising funds for the IRA

Get the link yet?

St. Pats, Sean South, IRA, Rebels :loopy:

Also I can garauntee you Mr. Rake that the vast majority of bars in Ireland on the 17th and also on many other weekends will have some sort of rebel songs, tunes, music, poems, stories, recitals!

So, if you wouldnt mind I am still waiting for your answer to my first question

You tried plugging yourself as a musician on this celebration and someone had the ordacity to ask you if you would be playing a certain type of music, all rather simple and straight forward to answer

Why wont you be playing any rebel songs, as in EIRE, there will be rebel songs galore.

Also while I am here I would like to commend you on your PR, I am sure after all your ranting on here you have managed to drum up quite a number of people to go elsewhere

Well done!

Finally!

Thanks for, eventually, laying your cards on the table. Now I've finally got that out of you I'll answer your original question ... In a minute.

First, I'm going to share a little, second hand, anecdote with you. You may take it as you wish.

So, I was down the pub last night with a couple of other musicians, both Sheffielders of first generation Irish descent. We were discussing the gig & so on and I was moved to tell them about a couple of conversations I've been having on this thread, including the one with you. I reported it as word for word as I could, since you weren't there to defend yourself, so it went along the lines of:

"someone asked me if we'd be playing any rebel songs ... I replied 'nope' ... someone else popped up and asked why ... I asked why should we .... he responded 'they do in Ireland' (there were chuckles from both of them at this stage) ... I asked 'who's they?' (laughter) ... he responded 'who do you think' and then it descended into madness."

At that stage they turned to each other and said, I kid you not, in unison, "Luke Kelly" and laughed some more.

At this stage I thought I was on the receiving end of some low level bullying so, obviously, pressed the matter.

Slight name-dropping follows but it's essential to the tale so forgive me.

Now, both of these blokes are mates with James Cannon and, by association, Sean. Because of this, they had met the rest of the Dubliners on a number of occasions and had often been told of one of their favourite Luke Kelly moments.

He was in the (can't remember the pub name) in (can't remember the place, sorry) and this bloke came over and said; "you know what, Luke. If I had a rifle I'd join the IRA". Luke replied "No, son, if you had a rifle you'd pawn it and get even more drunk!"

So, thanks for providing Dee, Colm and I with some Friday night fun.

Any old how ... to address some of your other points, I assume you were being facetious in insinuating that I didn't know why you and the other geezer asked about rebel songs. I'm fully aware of various versions of the history of Ireland and, if you knew me, you'd be in no doubt of my political position with regard to it. Since, however, you don't and this is not a political thread but is a thread about what some people will be doing on the 17th of March my position is irrelevant.

Regarding your pot/kettle point and my comment to which it was a response, I'm sure anybody reading this will be able to make their own decision regarding which, if either, of us has been level-headed, reasonable and, largely, non-confrontational during this exchange.

As to your comments regarding the band and so on. You've shown yourself to be fairly intelligent and articulate so I'll assume you don't really think that anybody who might happen to read this thread would decide not to go to the tent because of it and, as for our other gigs, we're doing fine thanks ... We do sing quite a few political songs ... not really because of the message contained therein (though, obviously, we wouldn't sing them if we disagreed with said message) but because they sound good ... and that, my friend, brings us to the crux of the matter as far as I'm concerned. Anything we do on the 17th will be with the sole purpose of sounding good in order to entertain people. There will be plenty of people there, around Sheffield, around the country, in Eire and around the world singing so-called rebel songs on the 17th. Nobody needs us to be singing any.

So, having cleared all that up, to your question. The reason we won't be singing any rebel songs on the 17th is the same as the reason we won't be singing any loyalist songs or, indeed, any Kylie songs.

It's because we don't know any.

Hope that helps.

PS...

Also while I am here I would like to commend you on your PR, I am sure after all your ranting on here you have managed to drum up quite a number of people to go elsewhere

Well done!

What was that you were saying about pots and kettles?

Listen, Jongo, I'm a reasonable man who bears no grudges and shoulders no chips. If you can find one single post, by me, on this thread which could truly be considered to contain ranting then I will pay for your Guinness all night on St Patrick's day. When you don't manage to do so, you may be moved to buy one for me instead.

An observation.

I once had Irish stew, does that qualify me as irish for the purpose of st patricks day?

May I humbly suggest that, in order to prevent the thread being closed, people just ignore this and other, similar, MENSA-bothering comments?

May I humbly suggest that, in order to prevent the thread being closed, people just ignore this and other, similar, MENSA-bothering comments?

Although it would be interesting, to get to the bottom of all these little digs.

There has definitely been an upsurge in this over the last few years. Not sure it's necessarily meant to be overtly anti-Irish as frustratedly pro-English because no-one seems to care about celebrating St George's day.

Do those nay-sayers realise that even some Ulster unionists celebrate St Patrick's Day and it is a bank holiday in the North of Ireland?

Ain't no big thing. Just a big party day.

Maybe another thread.

John X

Although it would be interesting, to get to the bottom of all these little digs.

There has definitely been an upsurge in this over the last few years. Not sure it's necessarily meant to be overtly anti-Irish as frustratedly pro-English because no-one seems to care about celebrating St George's day.

Do those nay-sayers realise that even some Ulster unionists celebrate St Patrick's Day and it is a bank holiday in the North of Ireland?

Ain't no big thing. Just a big party day.

Maybe another thread.

John X

Agreed!

One can often deduce the motives of any particular poster by having a quick look at their previous posts though I must say, in the case of the most recent one and yesterday's troll, that hasn't been the case.

Yes, St Patrick's day is non-denominational .. a fact which seems to have eluded some of the contributors to this thread.

Archived