St Patrick's Day Tent - Fargate

Andy394

but the rebels songs are about irelands history.

I was going to make this point earlier when the ding dong between Jack and jongo was still in full flow.

Irish rebel songs aren't just diddly-diddly tunes with 'Up the IRA' in each chorus. Most are folk songs in the true folk tradition of being about the people and their daily lives.

Rightly or wrongly, the daily lives of most indigenous Irish people for the last few hundred years has been inextricably tied up with Ireland's relationship with England, and that has often been far from harmonious.

John X

I have absolutely nothing against the IRISH celebrating St Patricks day but cannot understand why we do.

Serious qestion. Why not?

Do we all have to stay in our own little boxes and look at each other through toughened-glass windows?

What is wrong with sharing other people's culture and celebration? :confused:

Surely that's a good thing?

Isn't is? :(

John X

Pity, read what you have posted and not wanting to start arguement like some ignorants on here but the rebels songs are about irelands history. not siding with any loyalist group or any other group just think that as part of the whole history of Ireland/Eire they illustrate part of our history.

a history we should strive not to forget. I have family in the north and south of ireland and every part of our past is important. sean south, the roll of honour, the hungerstrikers, james connelly, robert emmett, aiden mcinespie, michael collins, billy reid and of course bobby sands as with many many many more. they played important part in Eire's history. we should not forget them when celebrating St Patrick's (the patron saint of whole of ireland) day.

Hiya Sares.

Great post and I fully agree with your point and John's subsequent endorsement.

It's important that songs about all aspects of our history are preserved regardless, as you say, of the so-called right or wrong of the subject matter. There are plenty of songs about whaling, rape, child murder and other, less pleasant, subjects knocking around and it would be a massive shame if these disappeared just because we, most of us, don't do that any more.

Speaking personally, I'd have no issue with singing any song (as long as I wasn't totally opposed to the views it contained) if I felt it sounded good and fitted in with our style of playing ... That just hasn't been the case with any rebel songs so far. That isn't, I hasten to add, because they're in any way rubbish ... There are many other songs I've fancied doing that just haven't really worked within our format.

I don't, honestly think it's much of a pity, regarding the St Patrick's Day event, that we don't do any. As I said in another post, there will be plenty of other people doing much better renditions than we could on that day.

Serious qestion. Why not?

Do we all have to stay in our own little boxes and look at each other through toughened-glass windows?

What is wrong with sharing other people's culture and celebration? :confused:

Surely that's a good thing?

Isn't is? :(

John X

Everything when we dont even celebrate our own.

Do we celebrate any other countries apart from Irelands.

I can't imagine seeing a red, white and blue tent in Dam Square on Bastille Day with loads of Dutch people drinking Bordeaux and listening to Edith Piaf songs. It wont happen because its ridiculous.

England is losing its identity and things like this only make it worse.

Make St Georges day a public holiday and lets celebrate it in style, I have no interest in whether St George was Turkish or whatever spurious background he had, he is Englands patron saint so thats that.

Then we can let the people who should be celebrating St Patricks day (wherever they may be) get on with it.

Everything when we dont even celebrate our own.

England is losing its identity and things like this only make it worse.

Hiya toppy.

I'm not re-entering the St Pat's debate with you ... no point.

I just thought you might be heartened to know that I have observed an increase in the number of events to celebrate St Georges Day over the past 5 years or so and, as I said earlier, there will be a full on mini-festival jobby in the city centre this year.

I'm imagining lots of kids with foam swords and shields but, apart from that, it should be fun.

What might not please you so much is that my theory as to why this is happening is that open-minded people have seen the revelry on St. Patrick's day (which, let's face it, has only been quite so prominent for the last couple of decades or so), wondered why we don't do the same for our patron saint's day and, rather than bitching about it, have got off their backsides and organised something.

Only a theory, don't forget.

Hiya toppy.

I'm not re-entering the St Pat's debate with you ... no point.

I just thought you might be heartened to know that I have observed an increase in the number of events to celebrate St Georges Day over the past 5 years or so and, as I said earlier, there will be a full on mini-festival jobby in the city centre this year.

I'm imagining lots of kids with foam swords and shields but, apart from that, it should be fun.

What might not please you so much is that my theory as to why this is happening is that open-minded people have seen the revelry on St. Patrick's day (which, let's face it, has only been quite so prominent for the last couple of decades or so), wondered why we don't do the same for our patron saint's day and, rather than bitching about it, have got off their backsides and organised something.

Only a theory, don't forget.

Of course there is no point because I wont be convinced that the corporate led St Patricks day celebrations should be foisted on the English.

St Patricks day celebrations should be foisted on the English.

The weakness in that argument is that two of the more annoying facets of recent St Patrick's Day celebrations, are having to get to a pub before 6pm. to just get a seat, and pubs charging to get in on Paddy's Day.

It doesn't look to me as if anything is being foisted upon the English.

In fact it seems as if we can't get enough of it! :hihi:

John X

The weakness in that argument is that two of the more annoying facets of recent St Patrick's Day celebrations, are having to get to a pub before 6pm. to just get a seat, and pubs charging to get in on Paddy's Day.

It doesn't look to me as if anything is being foisted upon the English.

In fact it seems as if we can't get enough of it! :hihi:

John X

Which is a damning indictment of the English.

Which is a damning indictment of the English.

Stop it right now! :gag:

You are coming across as a po-faced miserablist with every post you make.

I don't want to get all Freudian on yo' ass but you didn't have your green crayons stolen when you were in primary school? :confused:

John X

Archived