St Patrick's Day Tent - Fargate

Andy394

put it up for st george's day instead. Paintron st of this country!!

Sheffield has a huge Irish and Irish descendant population plus many English, and other, people enjoy celebrating St Patrick's Day for various reasons, so much so that it has become a, pretty much, international celebration. Do you begrudge them this pleasure? Maybe we should stop celebrating that other foreign fella's day ... you know, the one at the back end of December.

Having said that, you will, I'm sure, be pleased to know that Sheffield is, indeed, hosting an event, this year, to celebrate the day of St George (who, incidentally, was not, as far as I'm aware, involved in the decorating trade). Again, I don't have too many details but I believe it's on Saturday 24th from midday on Devonshire Green. Could be wrong though. Jack's Rake are booked, though we'll be doing mostly Irish songs and tunes because English ones are rubbish.

IMHO, of course!

Sheffield has a huge Irish and Irish descendant population plus many English, and other, people enjoy celebrating St Patrick's Day for various reasons, so much so that it has become a, pretty much, international celebration. Do you begrudge them this pleasure? Maybe we should stop celebrating that other foreign fella's day ... you know, the one at the back end of December.

Having said that, you will, I'm sure, be pleased to know that Sheffield is, indeed, hosting an event, this year, to celebrate the day of St George (who, incidentally, was not, as far as I'm aware, involved in the decorating trade). Again, I don't have too many details but I believe it's on Saturday 24th from midday on Devonshire Green. Could be wrong though. Jack's Rake are booked, though we'll be doing mostly Irish songs and tunes because English ones are rubbish.

IMHO, of course!

Yes you're right, England has never produced any good music ever

As the wheel is staying in place at the top of Fargate until January 2011, The Big White Tent will be hosting this year's St Patrick's Festival from a new location - Holly Street - between City Hall and Lloyd's bar.

The event will run Friday 12th March to Wednesday 17th March (but will be closed on Monday 15th).

The Big White Tent will be showcasing a wealth of local bands as well as traditional Irish music. There will, as usual, be a well stocked bar (no, not just Guinness!) and food on offer.

Hope to see you all there!

Yes you're right, England has never produced any good music ever

Hi Myriad.

If you look at the hidden "IMHO" you may realise I was being mischievious.

Since, however, you have bitten I will explain further. My statement did not suggest England has never produced any good music. My band plays, largely, traditional songs and tunes. In my opinion, the Irish jigs and reels and so on have much more life to them than the English ones though, I will concede, that the English songs usually have a better body count than the Irish ones.

Sláinte!

Archived