London Club - New steak house on Surrey St

Andy394

Well, funnily enough I was also there last night. Myself and other half went at 7pm at which time it was just pleasantly busy/buzzy. Starters of sesame seared tuna and goats cheese were both delicious. We both had steaks for main with sauces and sides -the steaks were cooked exactly as we'd requested and were delicious, the only slight downside was that everything tasted extremely salty (even by my standards, and I like salty food!) After a brief rest we managed to find room for dessert, chocolate cheesecake was lovely but a bit dry, and banana split was a twist on what we expected but very nice. Bill for 3 courses for each of us (including sides) and beer for the OH and a couple of G&T's for me was £85. Service was pleasant and attentive but not intrusive. Overall, I was impressed and certainly feel this is the best restaurant in town I've eaten in and, as Pete suggested, an excellent pre-theatre venue.

Amazing what peeps will do for a few quid. :suspect:

Right, we booked for 9:30 as it was a party of ten as it was one guy's birthday. First impressions are good, the décor is classy but understated.

We ordered drinks at the bar in the restaurant & were then ushered into a separate room at the back of the main area. On the way through we noticed our table looked already set up for us (it wasn't busy). We were sat on two large tables which were unlit for our drinks. The drink order came quickly enough & was correct. We then sat for around 25minutes until the bar tender asked if we were ok, to which we said we were waiting to be taken to our table. She said it had been ready for a while. Why weren't we told?

We sat down & a waitress came over & told us that they's run out of a few things, & a few starters were limited.

We ordered the starter & main, then she came back some 10 mins later to re-check the order, re-affirming that only 4 crab cakes were left & asked again how many did we order.

The starter came within around 15mins & one starter (crab cake) was missing so one poor chap had to wait a further 10mins for his starter to come.

I had the chicken liver & foie gras pate which was very nice but slightly under seasoned. All the crab cake dishes were under seasoned but I tasted one & it had a good flavour albeit only just warm.

Then some 30 mins later the head waiter (I assume) came over & apologised & then re-took our mains order again saying the waitress had a meltdown due to the chef shouting at her. This guy defused a difficult situation & acted in a very professional manner to reslove the problems, as the birthday boy wasn't too happy & by this time it was climbing the hill to 11 o'clock.

Anyway, the main course came & most people has steak of some description, all were cooked perfectly. I had the château briand which was cooked perfectly & was to be fair an amazing cut of meat. All the steaks were served with a tomato & mushroom, chips, gratin or veggies are all extra, disappointingly.

Interestingly the porterhouse on the online menu was £25, on the restaurant menu it was £32. The château briand on the online menu was £32 on the menu in the restaurant is was £45. I thought this was unforgivable & due to the long list of complaints about poor service, menus being incorrectly priced, etc etc, the manager knocked the bill down to £177. This was between 10 people & it included all the drinks, starters & mains.

I felt sorry for the manager actually, as the dufus waitress was mainly to blame for all the mistakes.

But on the plus side, the food was very good, exceptional in fact & like I said the château briand was faultless. I will be returning to The London Club, & hopefully, they'll have ironed out the teething problems.

Archived