London Club - New steak house on Surrey St

Andy394

I like it there but as mentioned they do seem to be out of stock

with lots of things but the food is good.

It's a shame the dippy waitresses seem to confuse everything.

they could do wth some smart males who know what they're doing.

I know this sounds bias but they do seem better at this job , you only

have to look at the restaurants in Europe.

This restaurant is down in the basement, Tuckwoods used to be

upstairs, if you look when you go in you will see the original entranced

blocked off.

Bit of a review as I thought the place was worthy of one:

Well, I'm pleased no one took the vouchers off me!

We turned up at 7:05 pm last night yet we could still order from the pre-theatre menu. We started with chicken liver parfait and fish cakes. The parfait was set in a plate of pork jelly and arrived with lightly toasted brioche. It was stunning, served at room temperature and seasoned to perfection. Sometimes it can be lacking in flavour but this dish had bags of it. The fish cake was huge but perfectly cooked, hot in the middle with a light crumb outside, full of crab and salmon.

We chose a Gewürztraminer 2007 from a (nice touch) bin end list, at just £15. No complaints at all. The service was professional too, perfectly pitched.

The mains were the 8oz sirloin and bream. My steak was served rare as asked, but it also had that charcoal crust that's so difficult to achieve at home. The bearnaise sauce was thick and gooey, as it should be. I also whacked a dollop of their home made brown sauce onto my plate as it was on the table, and I'll never say the word "HP" again. The mushroom was topped with a tomato half and a fine herb crumb.

I didn't try the bream but the plate was cleared.

The bill came to £44, fantastic value. My biggest problem is visiting these kind of places and having a mediocre meal and experience when you could go to East and West for £30 . . . this place seems to offer that ideal alternative.

The place is windowless, but it doesn't feel stuffy. It's been nicely kitted out, with a few Vettriano and Hopper prints. There was a decent bar next door. You could easily imagine settling down for a few hours there after a meal, though the quest for sunshine got the better of us yesterday.

I'm waxing on because there was only one other couple on the night we went (Friday) and I think this place deserves an audience. It's good, really good and we're booking again soon with some mates.

So yeah, I'd highly recommend. It's certainly worth a try. :thumbsup:

Not necessarily, you can get free range foie gras. One instance I've seen is from geese that live around woodlands in an area of Spain. They gorge themselves on acorns in the Autumn in prep for migration and they swell their own liver without human intervention.

Either way foie gras production is minuscule compared to that of battery eggs, intensively reared chicken and pork products involving sow stalls and farrowing crates. If people cared about animals and not their own rigged selective moral-stroking agenda they would deal with welfare that affects the suffering of many millions more animals first. The thing is, many are hypocritical and buy these products so they can't really get on their soap box about that can they. Foie gras however is an easy target because they don't turn a blind eye to the cruelty and buy it week in week out.

I have less respect for them than someone who buys battery eggs but doesn't preach.

I've tried the free range foie gras and I'm sorry to say it doesn't begin to match up. As for the rest of your post, you mirror my thoughts exactly, though I couldn't have put it more eloquently.

I despise these naive ethics whereby animal activists try to shut down a restaurant or a small guinea pig farm when a mile away is an abattoir slaughtering hundreds of cattle each day.

I'll assume these same people don't shop at any of the major supermarkets.

They need to understand what a good steak is! We certainly did not get one, and that was after a heavily suggested upgrade to a supplier from Glossop,that and a dismal atmosphere means this act cannot survive for long in our estimation.Consistency is important,and in fairness ,we know of nowhere you can eat really good steak in Sheffield anymore,possibly the way animals are fed and reared.We had high hopes but were so disappointed and cannot find a reason to return.Although trends in eating have changed,a top class steak house would make a fortune in Sheffield.............................but make no mistake it's got to be good!

Try the Romantica London Road, Best steaks in Sheffield I eat all aroind and don't know of one better.

• 1 month later...

I went there last night and will definitely go back. The staff were attentive but not intrusive and the atmosphere was relaxing. The food was excellent - my steak was cooked to perfection - and the portions were a good size. I found it to be good value for money. The chef came to talk to some diners who were praising his efforts which was a nice touch. The only negative I can think of was having bottles of ketchup, mustard and vinegar on the tables. It just didn't fit in with the rest of the restaurant ambience. It certainly wouldn't put me off going back though!

My friend and I went for lunch last Wednesday. We were the only ones in, which was a shame as the food was lovely.

We both had the salmon with mash and prawn butter sauce, the only problem was that they were served on a wooden board and the sauce kept running off.

I also noticed the tomato ketchup and brown sauce, etc. thought it was a bit out of place.

I will definitely be going again.

Archived