Leadmill tonight (31/07/05)

Hubert

A bit underwhelmed.

I thought Stony were very good, and the crowd went mad for the monkeys.

But perhaps my expectations were too high, and I gather a lot of the Arctic Monkey's appeal lies in the lyrics, but it sounded like pretty genre-bound indie rock to me.

Stony, on the other hand were happy to genre hop and come out with the unexpected, and despite all the sound being mashed together made a good noise.

Made a swift exit after the Arctic Monkeys though - not your average club-bunny here

I'd only heard one Stoney song before the gig and I have to say I was very impressed with them, I'll certainly keep a look out for them playing anywhere else soon!

Arctic Monkeys were brilliant. I saw them at the Boardwalk and I think I enjoyed them more there, but that was because I wasn't being squished from all angles. However, I can't fault the gig, their music, their crowd interaction and the fact I'm aching shows I had a good time.

The first support (non Blondes?) not fussed at all, seemed a bit mish mashed. The guitarists spent more time looking at each other and their intruments that the crowd.

Antics sounded good, but having work in the morning means I had to leave :(

Archived