Cut funding for the elderly, or the young? Which funding would you cut?

Why should funding be cut from the young, they did not rack up any of the problems the world faces.

Neither did my 81 year old Mum who has Alzheimers Disease and needs carers in her home.

Discuss....................

How's about cutting funding for smoking related diseases, surely smokers health problems are self inflicted are they not.

But what about other self inflicted diseases such as obesity related diabetes, poor diet , excessive alcohol intake and lack of exercise.

Where do you draw the line?

But what about other self inflicted diseases such as obesity related diabetes, poor diet , excessive alcohol intake and lack of exercise.

Where do you draw the line?

It a tricky one Daven and one I'd find hard to answer but I was putting my question to a poster who on the "What's The Worst Thing You Could Run Out Of? thread" said

beer and cigs
He seems to be saying that people who are addicted to illegal drugs should get no help whatsoever even though he seems to have an addiction to the two legal drugs that cost the NHS millions each year. It doesn't make sense.

Neither did my 81 year old Mum who has Alzheimers Disease and needs carers in her home.

Discuss....................

What are the net £ contributions to society by your Mum and the net £ cost of state administered services to your mum throughout her lifetime and the prospective costs of the remainder.

Does the £ suggest a sustainable cost to society of £0.

Should her retirement years relative to the retirement age of her generation and continual medical care be funded by the state. Should there be a longer shorter/retirement, less/more care.

Assume an equal society where one gets out as much as one puts in, where the poor are not exploited by the rich.

I don't smoke but the tax smokers pay to the government compensates

For the most part yes, however, people with grievance's to the system actively avoid tax and with smoking being taxed as heavily as it is, the proportion of people who avoid the tax increases.

I for one buy duty free. It is people like myself whom should be refused medical care for smoking, however if the tax was fair, I would pay it, and then I would expect the medical care.

I worry our society taxes smoking to such a degree the tax causes more harm, when it is supposedly there to reduce it.

Archived