Cut funding for the elderly, or the young? Which funding would you cut?

What are the net £ contributions to society by your Mum and the net £ cost of state administered services to your mum throughout her lifetime and the prospective costs of the remainder.

Does the £ suggest a sustainable cost to society of £0.

Should her retirement years relative to the retirement age of her generation and continual medical care be funded by the state. Should there be a longer shorter/retirement, less/more care.

I can't comment on what Daven's mum has paid into/taken out of the system but:

I paid in for many years (and still pay UK taxes.)

I've drawn out nothing. Used the NHS once - but that was as a result of an RTA and the other driver's insurance company paid the medical bills.

I didn't go to school in the UK

I (or my employer) paid for all higher education courses.

I didn't even get child benefit for my son. (You're married, so child benefit is paid to the child's mother. Your son and you may be living here and you may be supporting him, but your wife is a foreigner and she doesn't live here, so we're not paying you.)

I don't expect to get a pension; I'm sure the government will find a reason not to pay it.

Assume an equal society where one gets out as much as one puts in, where the poor are not exploited by the rich.

That sounds like a really good idea! - But if you're going to get out as much as you put in, why put the money into a common pot? Why not allow everybody to keep their money and invest it themselves.

That way they would indeed get out what they put in. Can I have my money back?

(The answer to that is, actually, 'Yes' - and I probably will.)

I didn't even get child benefit for my son. (You're married, so child benefit is paid to the child's mother. Your son and you may be living here and you may be supporting him, but your wife is a foreigner and she doesn't live here, so we're not paying you.)

out of interest was this recent/years back?

my mum and dad were married, then seperated and i moved in with him (they were still married!) and he claimed child benefit for me it doesn't automaticly go to the mother but the parent who is the main carer for the child. to top it of he wasn't even my biological father but yet it was still paid to him.

Archived