Low energy bulbs, good for the environment?

I can't work out if this is a windup or not. If not, I suggest you consider Snook's comment more carefully. It's perfectly valid and you seem to be missing the point.

Q. Is the mercury contained within a light bulb more or less than the mercury that would be released into the atmosphere by the extra coal burned to run a conventional light bulb for the life of an energy saving one.

Q. Is the potential clumsiness of the end user taken into account when designing lightbulbs?

Q. Did you do an IQ test each time you dropped a light bulb ... If not, how have you measured your "bright"ness?

Q. What is the "official" safe threshold for mercury exposure if, in fact, there is one? How does this compare with the mercury contained in a lightbulb and the mercury in the atmosphere?

I don't know the answer to any of the above but they are all questions I would seek to answer before drawing any conclusions and starting the scare stories.

add to this if I currently want to pop into my kitchen at night I turn the light on and have to turn the spotlights on in addition so that I can actually see. By the time my low energy light is on I have left the kitchen, often forgetting to turn it off as I can't tell its on

Well done, you can edit posts. Your point should be that people should dispose if them in the correct manner, then.
That is one point yes. Another point is that they break so easily. Another point is that in wintertime, the energy used by ordinary light bulbs is not wasted but goes to heat your room. Another point, which I have not mentioned yet, is that new LED bulbs are being developed, that give a good warm light and they use less electricity - 6W = 60W.

add to this if I currently want to pop into my kitchen at night I turn the light on and have to turn the spotlights on in addition so that I can actually see. By the time my low energy light is on I have left the kitchen, often forgetting to turn it off as I can't tell its on
I have noticed that. lol

Archived