Low energy bulbs, good for the environment?

Guest sibon

Ok, I'll do the quiz.

Q. Is the mercury contained within a light bulb more or less than the mercury that would be released into the atmosphere by the extra coal burned to run a conventional light bulb for the life of an energy saving one.

Hard to say as coal has a variable composition and lightbulbs have variable lives. What we can say for certain is that the mercury in a bulb is sealed in glass and is unlikely to get into the environment. The mercury from a power station is released into the atmosphere.

Q. Is the potential clumsiness of the end user taken into account when designing lightbulbs?

Yes. The public do need more education about safe disposal though. We also need recycling facilities.

. Did you do an IQ test each time you dropped a light bulb ... If not, how have you measured your "bright"ness?

And have you ever passed one

. What is the "official" safe threshold for mercury exposure if, in fact, there is one? How does this compare with the mercury contained in a lightbulb and the mercury in the atmosphere?

0.1mg/m3 is the limit. A bulb has about 3mg. So 1 bulb can make 30 cubic metres of air unsafe.

I don't know the answer to any of the above but they are all questions I would seek to answer before drawing any conclusions and starting the scare stories.

One more question... Does anyone know where mercury comes from?

I can't work out if this is a windup or not. If not, I suggest you consider Snook's comment more carefully. It's perfectly valid and you seem to be missing the point.

Q. Is the mercury contained within a light bulb more or less than the mercury that would be released into the atmosphere by the extra coal burned to run a conventional light bulb for the life of an energy saving one.

A.That would seem to be a valid question. However, it is not when we don't get our electricity from burning coal. Another point I would like to make is that mercury in the atmosphere is diluted and it's not the same as bringing it into your home in a very fragile glass bulb.

Q. Is the potential clumsiness of the end user taken into account when designing lightbulbs?

A. Apparently not.

Q. Did you do an IQ test each time you dropped a light bulb ... If not, how have you measured your "bright"ness?

A. No, but I have noticed a difference. Also I came out in a rash on my hands each time I broke one when trying to put it in a light socket. There are still traces of a rash on my fingers and it must be at least six months when I last broke one.

Q. What is the "official" safe threshold for mercury exposure if, in fact, there is one? How does this compare with the mercury contained in a lightbulb and the mercury in the atmosphere?

A. Comparing is not the point. We want as little as possible in our homes. Lead exists outside but 'they' banned lead paint for home use and with good reason. Even in small quantities mercury is more poison than lead.

Hi, again, Truthinus. Did your PhD tutor mention convection to you at all?
Hot air rises but because of convection, some of it comes back down. Any heating we have in our room, a lot of the heated air goes towards the ceiling and some comes back down. We don't need a PhD.

Hot air rises but because of convection, some of it comes back down. Any heating we have in our room, a lot of the heated air goes towards the ceiling and some comes back down. We don't need a PhD.

Ok .... So ... Do you know, therefore, how a dual element immersion heater works?

And have you ever passed one

:cry:

One more question... Does anyone know where mercury comes from?

I would guess it was formed by nuclear fusion in one of the recent local supernovas but what do I know?

Guest sibon
:cry:

I would guess it was formed by nuclear fusion in one of the recent local supernovas but what do I know?

That is one theory.

I heard it came from... H.G Wells :P

Archived