Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

clown shoes, what was the point of posting a star story from 13 days ago that we all know about, what we want to know is has the council kicked sevenstone to the kerb and getting on with finding a suitable investor(s) who will do something?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

clown shoes, what was the point of posting a star story from 13 days ago that we all know about, what we want to know is has the council kicked sevenstone to the kerb and getting on with finding a suitable investor(s) who will do something?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Me too!

Some people may have missed the article though!

So no announcement then?

Allow me to express my surprise, nay astonishment.

No...

Wait...

Well, you can't rush these things, can you? I guess it takes time to think up some sort of meaningless gobbledy-gook to try to confuse the issue. Not that SCC would ever do that.

No...

Wait...

On the plus side, planner1 will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong, so it's not all doom and gloom for SCC's flawless plan for the city centre, eh?.

:hihi:

So no announcement then?

Allow me to express my surprise, nay astonishment.

No...

Wait...

Well, you can't rush these things, can you? I guess it takes time to think up some sort of meaningless gobbledy-gook to try to confuse the issue. Not that SCC would ever do that.

No...

Wait...

On the plus side, planner1 will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong, so it's not all doom and gloom for SCC's flawless plan for the city centre, eh?.

the silence is deafening , where is mothersole, bramall and our supreme leader julie dore ? are they hiding in a dark room waiting for it all to go away ?maybe they are hiding , i havent seen julies face in the star opening a charity shop for a few weeks now:hihi:

Edited by hackey lad

My my what bitter cyncical people we have on here.

The Council has better things to deal with than coming rushing on here to tell all you curtain twitchers what they said.

God sake. The deadline was today. Usually its close of business anyway.

That was just under 6 hours ago. 6 hours. that's all.

Whatever or not has happened did you really expect them to come dashing to the Star or on here to tell everyone.

Whatever or not has happened there could be tens, dozens, hundreds of actions that need to be taken.

Whatever or not has happened a statement (whenever it comes out) will need to be formally drafted, checked, signed off, approved, sent to the media and published. That takes time.

Some people on here need to grow up. Find something else to do with your lives.

The Council has better things to deal with than coming rushing on here to tell all you curtain twitchers what they said.

Whatever or not has happened did you really expect them to come dashing to the Star or on here to tell everyone.

Whatever or not has happened there could be tens, dozens, hundreds of actions that need to be taken.

Whatever or not has happened a statement (whenever it comes out) will need to be formally drafted, checked, signed off, approved, sent to the media and published. That takes time.

I woulda thought theyd be really excited and get the news out ASAP like a teenagers first fumble!

I hold the people I have to pay by law to account, if you fail to then more fool you.

Sevenstone has been ordered to commit to a completion date by the end of May – or be axed.

We don't need any great statement- just a simple confirmation of whether they have held firm and axed Hammerson, or the completion date. Simples!

---------- Post added 04-06-2013 at 09:18 ----------

This weeks Estate Gazette features the Yorkshire Focus, there is an article on Sheffield retail and the Sevenstone and Next saga.

It's titled "Home-made Sheffield Pickle". The main points are:

The problems Sheffield faces aren't all down to Meadowhall, and the council need to "look in the mirror.

"Although Hammerson are shy of saying it, Sheffield city centre rents no longer look high enough to justify ambitious development. In Nov 12 Colliers International estimated their would be a 10% fall in the 12 months following-one of the worst performers in the UK".

If a deal is reached between Hammerson and the council construction may start as late at 2017 (18 to 24 months after any new planning application)- this from Hammersons's Peter Cole (coincidentally just after Hammersons Leeds development is completed). Peter Cole also added- 'we are hoping for a conclusion to discussions later this year'.

Without an anchor there will be no development.

On a positive note Savills say that both the Moor and Sevenstones will happen, "The success of Land Securites' 1m sqft Trinity Leeds has to encourage Hammerson in Sheffield."

The 80,000 pre-let mooted for The Moor is Primark.

Edited by lil-minx92

Hmm.. The "curtain twitchers" as you put it can perhaps be a touch vociferous and unrelenting in their criticism of the council (but I think many of their points are not unreasonable). However, surely, surely you don't really think that it's acceptable for a public body to give a date when a statement will be released and then say nothing at all. Not even a statement saying "negotiations are taking longer than expected blah blah"

I wouldn't even do that in my own humble work - or at least if I did, I would expect to take flak. When a publicly listed company provides a date on which it will make an announcement, if it doesn't do that the share price of that company will plunge because investors will lose confidence (e.g. APR Energy). Needless to say, it doesn't happen very often

So no it's not OK for SCC to give a date and not stick to it. I'd feel that way about anyone I work with - individuals, companies I invest in, and government bodies.

Step away from your political bias and perhaps you'll concede they have a point. Expect more from your elected officials!