Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

The "showrooms" are city centre based but aren't most "bulky" goods delivered from distribution centres outside the city centre. For example the cooker we bought last year from John Lewis was delivered from here;

http://www.store-locations.co.uk/john_lewis/sheffield-store-s9-1tn.html

Exactly the same as out of town retailers. Dont see many people shoving a cooker or sofa in the back of their cars be it John Lewis or Ikea.

What's your point?

---------- Post added 22-06-2013 at 22:13 ----------

All those bulky goods dealers who are trading successfully like T J Hughes who have er... closed down.

Is it not also the case that you don't go to DFS and then load a sofa into the back of your car afterwards?

TJ hughes are very much still open - just moved to a different location.

Exactly the same as out of town retailers. Dont see many people shoving a cooker or sofa in the back of their cars be it John Lewis or Ikea.

What's your point?

Planner1 appears to be implying that the "bulky" goods are delivered from city centre based stores.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=9873897&postcount=987

i asked planner1 to quantify bulky goods from city centre seeing as he was so adement that he was right, im still waiting for him to show stats to prove his argument, now when talking about bulky goods we are referring to beds cookers and the like sizes, not clothes and hand held goods, they are not bulky by definition!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

You got any stats to support up your particular point of view?

And where exactly have I implied this?

The RETAILING takes place in the city centre. That's what we are discussing.

The post you made earlier;

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=9873897&postcount=987

"The area designated to bulky goods retail in on the inner ring road and has excellent vehicular access.

There are many stores in the city centre which already sell bulky goods.

Does anyone think that they would be expected to take a sofa home from John Lewis on the bus? So, bulky goods retail in the city centre is not exactly a foreign concept is it? It's always been happening there."

Now if you'd said something along the lines of "the showrooms for some bulky goods are based in the city centre but they'll be delivered from an out of town warehouse" it might have been more accurate.

I'd have thought retailers might know best where their showrooms and delivery points should be based. It makes sense for John Lewis to have a "split site" I assume. It might not for the likes of a garden centre or an IKEA which tend to be based on the same site - they may need a market of more than 1.5 million people within an hours drive - which tends to make siting close to a motorway junction an economic neccessity.

I'd think that retailers know their market a tad better than the council.

therin is the problem, retailers DO know their business, the council THINKS they know the retailers business better, thats why scc cant get the city centre to work because they not got a clue

Yes, that's the business model that most bulky goods retailers follow these days.

Your point is?

My point is that with somewhere like Ikea, you do go there and then load a sofa (or whatever) into the back of your car afterwards, unless you want to pay their extortionate delivery charge.

The quantities of bulky goods sold per total goods at an IKEA is not comparable to John Lewis.

The quantities are not comparable to a Currys.

If IKEA thought that their business model would work in a city centre I'm sure they would go down that path.

I'm 100% certain that they know how to run their business better than SCC's stooges who have demonstrated exceptionally well that they cannot develop a city centre retail environment.

SCC telling IKEA how retail works is like Brian the Blade telling Alex Ferguson how to run a football club.

The quantities of bulky goods sold per total goods at an IKEA is not comparable to John Lewis.

The quantities are not comparable to a Currys.

If IKEA thought that their business model would work in a city centre I'm sure they would go down that path.

I'm 100% certain that they know how to run their business better than SCC's stooges who have demonstrated exceptionally well that they cannot develop a city centre retail environment.

SCC telling IKEA how retail works is like Brian the Blade telling Alex Ferguson how to run a football club.

except brian the blade is certain he can do it better even when everyone tells him that he useless at the job, he just sticks his fingers in his ears and goes la la la la!!!!