Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Meanwhile, Trinity Leeds is up and running. Things get done there.

That would be the half empty Trinity Leeds would it. Just perfect to go along with the half empty "The Core" complex. We then have the shabby looking St Johns and Merrion Centres

With exception to a handful of newbies Trinity is mostly relocated stores from existing city centre locations. I doubt very much that two stores will operate so close to each other so inevitably it will lead to empty units elsewhere.

I certainly would not get too excited about things getting done. I would rather have a completed fulfilled development when the time is right rather than rushing and showing off to end up building lots of thrown together clone precincts which remain half empty.

Grass is always greener and all that.

Edited by ECCOnoob

That would be the half empty Trinity Leeds would it. Just perfect to go along with the half empty "The Core" complex. We then have the shabby looking St Johns and Merrion Centres

With exception to a handful of newbies Trinity is mostly relocated stores from existing city centre locations. I doubt very much that two stores will operate so close to each other so inevitably it will lead to empty units elsewhere.

I certainly would not get too excited about things getting done. I would rather have a completed fulfilled development when the time is right rather than rushing and showing off to end up building lots of thrown together clone precincts which remain half empty.

Grass is always greener and all that.

This would be the half empty Trinity would it ? http://www.shopping-centre.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/6522/Trinity_Leeds_welcomes_10_millionth_shopper.html

So 10m peope have walked through the doors. So what?

What has that go to to do with half the units being empty let alone the impact on the surrounding streets as exisitng stores relocated inside Trinity. Only 46 of the centre's 120 stores are new businesses. That means that potentially Trinity has created 74 empty units elsewhere. Hardly a great impression.

Even your own local rag has raised concerns about the impact of Trinity and its supposed benefits.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/footfall-goes-up-as-leeds-trinity-opens-but-so-do-to-let-signs-1-5679916

I have already mentioned "The Core" which has been a lame duck stuck on the Headrow for years. It was a pointless precinct pretty much as far back as Schofields Centre days or was it Headow Centre or was it.... that place has rebranded itself more times than Prince. Plus St Johns and Merrion Centres really need an overhaul as they certainly do not fit in with the nice shiny new arena and supposed upmarket trades their neighbours are trying to catch.

Having worked in and travelled through Leeds for years I really dont understand the city's obsession with covered precincts. Trinity, The Core, St J, Merrion, Corn Exchange, The Light, Victoria and County Arcades. All these centres will have had a massive effect on the surrounding streets. Empty premises are springing up all over the surrounding areas and yet despite all those they are still arrogantly opening up more mall units namely, Victoria Gate Centre.

Carry on like this and the only outdoor streets will be connections between the various precincts. You might as well put a huge glass dome over the lot and call it The Shopping Mall.

It cannot carry on like that - something will have to give and all this constant rushing to be first with building and opening everything is going to end in tears. Just take a look at Clarence Dock and "The Gateway"

Edited by ECCOnoob

The future prosperity base on consumerism of nearly all imported goods in this country is just as daft as people used to say that the service industry is our future wealth.I was told on this forum that manufacturing is dead and buried and that we really can do without it.

............well,University economic experts...welcome to the real world!

Can someone explain to me why we need to spend billions on a collection of Asian warehouses masquerading as shops in the centre of Sheffield when we have enough already thanks!.............or is it self important councillors just keeping up with the Jonese's spending ratepayers money recklessly?

So 10m peope have walked through the doors. So what?

What has that go to to do with half the units being empty let alone the impact on the surrounding streets as exisitng stores relocated inside Trinity. Only 46 of the centre's 120 stores are new businesses. That means that potentially Trinity has created 74 empty units elsewhere. Hardly a great impression.

Even your own local rag has raised concerns about the impact of Trinity and its supposed benefits.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/footfall-goes-up-as-leeds-trinity-opens-but-so-do-to-let-signs-1-5679916

I have already mentioned "The Core" which has been a lame duck stuck on the Headrow for years. It was a pointless precinct pretty much as far back as Schofields Centre days or was it Headow Centre or was it.... that place has rebranded itself more times than Prince. Plus St Johns and Merrion Centres really need an overhaul as they certainly do not fit in with the nice shiny new arena and supposed upmarket trades their neighbours are trying to catch.

Having worked in and travelled through Leeds for years I really dont understand the city's obsession with covered precincts. Trinity, The Core, St J, Merrion, Corn Exchange, The Light, Victoria and County Arcades. All these centres will have had a massive effect on the surrounding streets. Empty premises are springing up all over the surrounding areas and yet despite all those they are still arrogantly opening up more mall units namely, Victoria Gate Centre.

Carry on like this and the only outdoor streets will be connections between the various precincts. You might as well put a huge glass dome over the lot and call it The Shopping Mall.

It cannot carry on like that - something will have to give and all this constant rushing to be first with building and opening everything is going to end in tears. Just take a look at Clarence Dock and "The Gateway"

No one is saying that 10m footfall is 10m shoppers can't even say that at Meadowhall. What it does is give the retailers a sporting chance to sell their wares and creates opportunities and an atmosphere. There are more units coming on stream at Trinity and that will lower the ratio of shops already there that moved. All the Restaurants are new and its very difficult to get a seat, especially when Rod was on at the 'shiny new Arena'. Some of the units that moved in extended into Trinity and made the stores bigger M&S, Top Man and I have to say I have looked but can't find this 'potentially' empty 74 empty units in the City. Some that were emptied are now filling up with newcomers due to the footfall. The Food Court opens shortly and it will have just monthly contracts for much of the Court to give it variety and Street food. The Core appears to be opening as Restaurants soon. St Johns is a link to the 'shiny new Arena' and seems well let. You missed The Light but that too is let. Plans have been announced by Town Centre Securities part of the Ziff Sylo Family Leeds based to massively update The Merrion so it become the 'shiny new Arena Way' the Car-parks have been done already.

The article is pretty neutral in its comments not overly pessimistic. Like the Star it likes to cover its back.

Every City seems to like its roof's these days and the Winter Garden experience. Looking at the Sevenstones that's what its getting too, looks identical to Trinity and it works well because its not airtight. Not sure when the Victoria (it is a street,) County Arcade (it is an Arcade) the Corn Exchange (not much in it lots round it) and the others you mention had an impact on the surrounding streets but they have been there Donkey's Years and I can't see any problems.

The Gateway is not retail. Clarence Dock now New Dock is successful as far as Residential goes and it is anchored by The Armouries. And because its not still on plan but completed it is being prepared for new hi-tech business and office space by the new owners. With Restaurants there and on the island.

I think you should not confuse 'confidence' with 'arrogance'. Personally I love Sheffield (sorry not as much as L**ds but nearly) I hope you get all you wish for Sevenstones, IKEA, Next all the rest. The 30 mile difference ensures we don't get too much in each others ways and I like a day out. If it doesn't come off for Leeds then you can have a good laugh as usual and make sure you don't make the same mistakes. Just do us a favour just stop getting so paranoid about your Cousins up the road and 'get on with it' !!!

Edited by Leeds Loiner