Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Perhaps a way forward might be retaining the best buildings in the area and replacing buildings that are not structurally sound with designs more in keeping with the environment. Chesterfield has restored quite a few of its older buildings and has street furniture that's in keeping with the environment and a newish shopping complex that blends into the townscape. I have been around that area many times it has the potential for such a project than demolishing most of the area with a any where shopping complex and would cost less and give Sheffield something different from what Manchester and Leeds has.

So, Hammerson's are well-ahead with the Victoria Gate mall in Leeds - due to open next year, with a shiny new John Lewis at the heart of it -

http://www.victoriagate.co.uk

Yippie! :roll:

They can add to the list of unoccupied units scattered all over the St Johns Centre, Merrion Centre and "The Core" oh and Clarence Dock and even empty units now starting to appear on Briggate and Albion St.

The only thing of any interest to me would be John Lewis but, we got one. Had one for years.

So, Hammerson's are well-ahead with the Victoria Gate mall in Leeds - due to open next year, with a shiny new John Lewis at the heart of it -

http://www.victoriagate.co.uk

So, it's only taken 40 years then....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Gate

Victoria Gate, formerly known as Eastgate Quarters and the Harewood and Eastgate Quarters, is a £650 million retail development under construction in Leeds, England, which is planned to open in late 2016. <snip>

Eastgate Quarters was first announced in 2004 and followed several cancelled schemes for the derelict site to the east of Leeds city centre dating from the 1970s

Still, it must be nice for Leeds to finally get a John Lewis, we've had ours for a couple of years now :)

So we have the benefits of lots of airports close by without any of the downsides, such as air and noise pollution.

That must be why folk are rushing to invest here. A bit like the Sheffield sea front properties. All the advantages without the seaweed.............or the sea.

---------- Post added 28-01-2015 at 00:28 ----------

just realised this thread is in its eighth year and still not a brick has been laid :rant:

I think one or two have been laid by the councillors.

Perhaps a way forward might be retaining the best buildings in the area and replacing buildings that are not structurally sound with designs more in keeping with the environment. Chesterfield has restored quite a few of its older buildings and has street furniture that's in keeping with the environment and a newish shopping complex that blends into the townscape. I have been around that area many times it has the potential for such a project than demolishing most of the area with a any where shopping complex and would cost less and give Sheffield something different from what Manchester and Leeds has.

I think that has now got to be the way forward. Refurbish rather than demolish - and as a result keep some of the old facades, like they have done in Leeds.

I think that has now got to be the way forward. Refurbish rather than demolish - and as a result keep some of the old facades, like they have done in Leeds.

The biggest solvable problem with Sheffield City Centre shopping is the lack of modern facilities, if this can be achieved by refurbishment all the better, but you have to ask yourself why the building owners weren't doing this in the first place.

I agree in principle, but I wouldn't want to see any of the orrid concrete monsters from the middle of last century restored.

We don't need another park hill flats scenario going on (lipstick on a pig anyone)????

Yippie! :roll:

They can add to the list of unoccupied units scattered all over the St Johns Centre, Merrion Centre and "The Core" oh and Clarence Dock and even empty units now starting to appear on Briggate and Albion St.

The only thing of any interest to me would be John Lewis but, we got one. Had one for years.

We note your expertise on all things Leeds especially your wisdom on letting levels at Trinity, they are over 97% now some way above your predictions. Here are the latest levels at Merrion Centre

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/business/business-news/merrion-owner-looks-forward-to-arena-boost-1-5665100

The shopping areas of Leeds are moving so no surprises on the others. But work being done on several of them. I'll keep you posted! Nice thing about coming late to the Arena and John Lewis is that we get better ones.

We note your expertise on all things Leeds especially your wisdom on letting levels at Trinity, they are over 97% now some way above your predictions. Here are the latest levels at Merrion Centre

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/business/business-news/merrion-owner-looks-forward-to-arena-boost-1-5665100

The shopping areas of Leeds are moving so no surprises on the others. But work being done on several of them. I'll keep you posted! Nice thing about coming late to the Arena and John Lewis is that we get better ones.

Agree with you in principal Leedsy. Leeds city centre is way ahead of Sheffield. However I lived in Morley for 5 years and it's a hole. As are most of the affordable outlying areas of Leeds unfortunately. Sheffield on the whole is a much nicer city and, once the city centre catches up, we'll all be happy I'm sure.

For now I choose to live in Barnsley as I get access to both great cities.

Agree with you in principal Leedsy. Leeds city centre is way ahead of Sheffield. However I lived in Morley for 5 years and it's a hole. As are most of the affordable outlying areas of Leeds unfortunately. Sheffield on the whole is a much nicer city and, once the city centre catches up, we'll all be happy I'm sure.

For now I choose to live in Barnsley as I get access to both great cities.

Ha Ha Cheers mate I live in Gildersome the posh part of Morley !! Niceness is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

I think most people accept the similarities of both Cities and we are in the same boat as far as Councils, Car Parking, Developers etc.. Most people in Leeds don't suffer from the paranoia that seems to run riot down there, and they would welcome Sheffield catching up if thats what you perceive is required. We are probably good for each other but we still keep a monitoring eye on SF for when it gets 'out of hand' :)