Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Agree with you in principal Leedsy. Leeds city centre is way ahead of Sheffield. However I lived in Morley for 5 years and it's a hole. As are most of the affordable outlying areas of Leeds unfortunately. Sheffield on the whole is a much nicer city and, once the city centre catches up, we'll all be happy I'm sure.

For now I choose to live in Barnsley as I get access to both great cities.

I live in Sheffield and find that Barnsley is the shopping Utopia that Sheffield used to be when we had a proper Market area.

---------- Post added 28-01-2015 at 12:08 ----------

Ha Ha Cheers mate I live in Gildersome the posh part of Morley !! Niceness is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

I think most people accept the similarities of both Cities and we are in the same boat as far as Councils, Car Parking, Developers etc.. Most people in Leeds don't suffer from the paranoia that seems to run riot down there, and they would welcome Sheffield catching up if thats what you perceive is required. We are probably good for each other but we still keep a monitoring eye on SF for when it gets 'out of hand' :)

The Paranoia is due to Look Leeds .

Yes Cuttsie, I agree there does seem to be much more on Leeds than Sheffield which is an outrage really. And Calendar to a smaller extent. Just a Geographical quirk really. No doubt when they move it all to Salford we will be in the same boat again !

I work round Sheffield each month and Barnsley too. Like the centre and there is some really stunning countryside round it. They just would not believe it South of Watford !!

never mind ,at least we have got the bustling and thriving moor market:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I have been in today the cafe and butcher sections were thriving the rest dead as Dodo.

The banner that has been proudly proclaiming the coming hot roast potato stall for the last six months ! Is still proudly proclaiming the coming :hihi:

The only Leeds/Sheffield rivalry, should be on the football field.

Unlike ECCOn*b’s constant slating of Leeds – it would be more productive to see how they’ve brought their developments to successful conclusion, and maintained momentum through a recession - and learn from it.

Unlike ECCOn*b’s constant slating of Leeds – it would be more productive to see how they’ve brought their developments to successful conclusion, and maintained momentum through a recession - and learn from it.

That maybe due to Leeds having a financial base which all the Money speculators have moved into .

Sheffield has not got those para---- people.

Just a last observation from up the road then I'll leave you in peace. As a regular visitor to both great cities for my 63 years, I am upset that Sheffield does appear to have lagged. But I can assure you imo that we have not had a policy of prospering at your expense, I get pretty upset when some people on here try to blame Leeds for everything. We are 'not guilty' and just 'ploughing our own furrow'. We are lead by our very own idiots too, I reckon they have secret meetings with SCC somewhere South of Wakefield to plan who can be the most stupid.

I have tried to work out the reason for the ambiguity, and the only thing I can come up with is pure luck (obviously not in football terms!). Leeds just ended up with a diversification of industry. It had manufacturing it made the machines that drove the woollen industry. It was the market for the finished goods rather than just the mills. When that finished tanks, planes, trains and road rollers kept the engineers employed. It was the national centre for tailoring when suits were made to measure. Many major retail chains started here Next, M&S, Burtons, Alexandria, followed by Asda. They all needed Banking and Finance so did the surrounding area so it became a Finance outlet.

I am very pleased that the World is starting to discover precision engineering and Sheffield's part in it and coming back home. For years I bought stuff I thought was made in Sheffield to be loyal to Yorkshire then found out on here that it was maybe not, so I am more careful now. And I hope you get the City Centre sorted, and it is successful however I will still come regardless. Good luck.

Edited by Leeds Loiner

But constantly voting for the same old muppets means nothing will ever change. This is a problem with the voters in a lot of northern towms and cities . The "my grandad voted labour and my dad voted labour ,so im voting labour " mentality is the reason why the north is lagging so far behind the south.

Your memory is not very good.

Peter Moore 1999 – 2002 Liberal Democrats

Jan Wilson 2002 – 2003 No Overall Control

2003 – 2007 Labour

2007 – 2008 No Overall Control

Paul Scriven 2008 – 2010 Liberal Democrats

2010 – 2011 No Overall Control

Julie Dore 2011 – present Labour

Please don't blame the people of Sheffield for only voting Labour, they do vote for other parties and then vote them out. You will find that the voters of Sheffield can be very fickle and change their allegiance quite often.

Ha ha ha. Penistone well and truly owned :)

Im am not constantly slating Leeds as you seem to think.

What I am doing is trying to bring some balance to your seeming delusion that everything Leeds does is perfect and every project is a roaring success. It isn't.

You seem to pop up on every single thread that has anything to do with a new Sheffield project to slip in that Leeds has xxx and Leeds is building a new xxx and Leeds has just secured xxx

Whenever anyone (not just me) has pointed out some of your city's failures suddenly your ears are closed and its all la la la...

I admit that Sheffield is behind. It always has been and always will be. Sheffield never had the financial trades and professional population that Leeds has. Leeds is a major financial centre, plus with big legal, media, banking, insurance firm in the location there is more spending power which warrants a selection of high end retail.

But let not be silly about it. You are not seriously going to tell me that the much famed Clarence Dock was anything other than a complete failure. The ever rebranding Schofields Centre/Headrow Centre/The Core is a waste of space and has been half empty for years. The run down St Johns and Merrion Centres are nothing other than just that. run down. Poundland springing up on Briggate, just a few units up from Harvey Nichols front door is not a sign of a booming premium label trade. Even the glorious trinity has spent some time getting tenants. I remember going not long after its big shiny launch to see plenty of to let signs.

Lets not also forget that building these constant shiny new malls and fighting to fill them with tenants has a knock on effect elsewhere. A company moving into say Trinity may leave an empty unit of the Headrow. A shiny new John Lewis might take trade away from Debenhams or House of Fraser and thus lead to another empty unit.

....the point is, Sheffield does have some problems BUT so does Leeds. Just because you are first to market doesn't always mean better.

Admit it. Leeds has an obsession with building something first and desperately try and fill it later. Sometimes not always a smart move.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Sheffield could quite easily rival Leeds and Manchester if given the chance. Sheffield has a lot of history and the buildings in the Cambridge Street area reflect that by all means get rid of the eyesores but other buildings like the Cutlers pub are worth saving and could be found a new use than be replaced by a shopping complex that has no historical connection to the city. There's a chance here to do something different and retain part of the cities identity.