Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawny1970

i take it that you were laughing when you typed your reply!!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

John Lewis, Atkinsons, Debenhams, Marks & Spencer, Currys etc etc all operate successfully in the city centre and have for years. They all sell bulky goods.

Explain to me how they don't have a problem with access, when they are situated right in the city centre, but you seem to think another store would have problems when it could be situated directly on the inner ring road?

and you know how exactly how mamy bulky goods they sell as opposed to light electrical and easily portable goods??, has scc done a survey? or are you in fact guilty as with scc of making assumptions!!

and you know how exactly how mamy bulky goods they sell as opposed to light electrical and easily portable goods??, has scc done a survey? or are you in fact guilty as with scc of making assumptions!!

They are businesses and they fill a significant part of their stores with bulky goods. They wouldn't sell them if it wasn't profitable to do so.

Where does the amount of such goods that any store sells come into the argument?

The Next homestore would sell a range of goods, not just large items.

They are businesses and they fill a significant part of their stores with bulky goods. They wouldn't sell them if it wasn't profitable to do so.

Where does the amount of such goods that any store sells come into the argument?

AFAIK if you order something bulky from John Lewis eg cooker, fridge (both of which we've bought from them in the last year) they are delivered from a warehouse out near Meadowhall rather than from the store.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planner1

AFAIK if you order something bulky from John Lewis eg cooker, fridge (both of which we've bought from them in the last year) they are delivered from a warehouse out near Meadowhall rather than from the store.

hpw dare you memtion delivery from meadowhall? everything bulky comes from city centre, scc and planner1 said so!!, so its the council law and dont you dare forget it ok......rofl

OK children. wind your necks in.

YOU raised the question of buying not delivery. Distribution warehouses are very different to retail floorspace.

Secondly, John Lewis, Atkinsons, Debenhams and to add to the list BHS, TJ Hughes and TK Maxx also sell "bulky goods" which plenty of people shopping in there seem to have no issue with. Its not mission impossible to carry a bag of bedding/cookware/housewares or even clothing.

All of it can be classed as "bulky" and all of it is purchased in town/city centres up and down the country with no issues.

To be honest, I find carrying a handful of goods (bulky or other) from one end of Meadowhall to the other absolutely no different to walking from Fargate up to my car.

Edited by ECCOnoob

hpw dare you memtion delivery from meadowhall? everything bulky comes from city centre, scc and planner1 said so!!, so its the council law and dont you dare forget it ok......rofl

Your entire argument has far too many holes in it for me to bother with and your attempt at sarcasm in response to a reasonable counter merely highlights your shortcomings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawny1970

Your entire argument has far too many holes in it for me to bother with and your attempt at sarcasm in response to a reasonable counter merely highlights your shortcomings.

i asked planner1 to quantify bulky goods from city centre seeing as he was so adement that he was right, im still waiting for him to show stats to prove his argument, now when talking about bulky goods we are referring to beds cookers and the like sizes, not clothes and hand held goods, they are not bulky by definition!!

i asked planner1 to quantify bulky goods from city centre seeing as he was so adement that he was right, im still waiting for him to show stats to prove his argument, now when talking about bulky goods we are referring to beds cookers and the like sizes, not clothes and hand held goods, they are not bulky by definition!!

And I asked you what relevance the amount of bulky goods sold by anyone has to the discussion at hand?

How exactly do you think the Council might know the quantities that retailers sell of any type of goods. It's commercially sensitive information which I am sure the retailers do not wish to give out.

As well as all the other bulky goods retailers which have been mentioned as trading successfully in the city centre, Have you also noted that DFS appear to be trading quite happily, right next to the inner ring road, a short distance from the site in question?

As well as all the other bulky goods retailers which have been mentioned as trading successfully in the city centre, Have you also noted that DFS appear to be trading quite happily, right next to the inner ring road, a short distance from the site in question?

All those bulky goods dealers who are trading successfully like T J Hughes who have er... closed down.

Is it not also the case that you don't go to DFS and then load a sofa into the back of your car afterwards?

And I asked you what relevance the amount of bulky goods sold by anyone has to the discussion at hand?

How exactly do you think the Council might know the quantities that retailers sell of any type of goods. It's commercially sensitive information which I am sure the retailers do not wish to give out.

The "showrooms" are city centre based but aren't most "bulky" goods delivered from distribution centres outside the city centre. For example the cooker we bought last year from John Lewis was delivered from here;

http://www.store-locations.co.uk/john_lewis/sheffield-store-s9-1tn.html