Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Its a shame the council never listen to the views of the sheffield public.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/we-all-love-sheffield-so-here-are-our-ideas-for-a-better-city-centre-1-5894203

fingers in ears ,la la la la has it gone away yet

---------- Post added 27-07-2013 at 22:01 ----------

where are the defenders ? surely there cannot be many left?

That Star article is interesting but if anyone thinks the council are responsible for making shops open till later or increasing the bus numbers to mention but two then they really don't understand how things are done. The shops are privately owned and run so i assume they close because they can't see any financial benefit in staying open later and the buses again run by private companies who are interested in running buses on routes that gain them the best profit.

As far as hammerson and the sevenstone project goes if it were starting to move then some of the swanky shops might be asking questions as to the availability of units. As I've said I do find it annoying that information is so poor it wouldn't be so bad if the council actually stated what the problems are, what they are trying to do to resolve them and what could happen if another developer has to be sought. I really don't have any interest in hearing that ther e have been further talks I'd like to know about what exactly. I know Ron Ree's who works within the council and is in charge of the sevenstone developmwnt is exceedingly frustrated by the lack of progress but he did ssay that if Hammerson were kicked out the delay in work beginning would be a lot longer than the provisional dates already in the public arena. I suspect as well that if more of the public would actually start ringing and asking for information then that'd be no bad thing as then at least we might get an update.

Its a shame the council never listen to the views of the sheffield public.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/we-all-love-sheffield-so-here-are-our-ideas-for-a-better-city-centre-1-5894203

There are so many conflictions and inconsistencies in the various ideas on there - it just goes to show that it's only the council who have to deal with keeping everyone happy. Individuals can just wistfully wish for whatever they want without any thought about how such things are realised - and then get angry and indignant when things don't materialise.

---------- Post added 28-07-2013 at 01:19 ----------

fingers in ears ,la la la la has it gone away yet

---------- Post added 27-07-2013 at 22:01 ----------

where are the defenders ? surely there cannot be many left?

Defenders of what?

There's still a lot of people who are fairly rational about the whole thing, not letting biased politics skew their view.

I'm annoyed this whole thing is dragging on and I don't personally like the current council - but I'm also very aware of the massive external factors that are effecting this development. The council don't hold diddly-squat power over this development. Sevenstone - or something similar - will get built when Hammerson want to. It always makes me laugh how people want to 'throw them off' the project, as if someone else is just dying to build it.

The big news is that the entire council are resigning and handing over control to someone who knows what they are doing.

---------- Post added 28-07-2013 at 17:42 ----------

That Star article is interesting but if anyone thinks the council are responsible for making shops open till later or increasing the bus numbers to mention but two then they really don't understand how things are done. The shops are privately owned and run so i assume they close because they can't see any financial benefit in staying open later and the buses again run by private companies who are interested in running buses on routes that gain them the best profit.

The shops are hardly going to open later when the council have extended charging times for parking. Now if free parking was available in the evening shops might decide to open later ,as they do in places such as Leeds and Manchester

The shops are hardly going to open later when the council have extended charging times for parking. Now if free parking was available in the evening shops might decide to open later ,as they do in places such as Leeds and Manchester

They didn't open late for all the years it was free, so that's a bit of a red herring isn't it?

The shops don't open late because they don't make any money on it.