Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

The shops don't open late because they don't make any money on it.

So if there isnt enough people visiting the city center to make it worthwhile opening shops late ,why have the council extended parking charging times ? There must be enough of a volume of visitors for the council to see pounds signs in their eyes and an opportunity of squeezing more cash from motorists.

Hammerson have been dropped according to Hallam.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Radio Sheffield reported the same at 6am. Well, I for one, am shocked at this...

A bit of a surprise, I thought the council were going to see this one out until they were booted out basically.

I think this is the right decision but not because I think other people are willing to come in and start construction on the same scheme tomorrow, so it pains me to read that the council are still 100% behind the scheme as-is, i.e. a full on shopping centre. I just don't think the appetite is there to build something like that, no matter who the developer is. Hammerson aren't stupid.

This decision can get things moving quicker but only if the council accept that the way to proceed is with a more mixed-use, bit-by-bit scheme just as Scottish Widows are doing with the Moor.

SCC confirmed that Hammerson now axed and they are now looking for a new developer.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/sevenstone-retail-developer-axed-by-sheffield-council-1-5899719

Fair play to the Council for making this move rather than continue to be stringed along by Hammersons.

I guess they backed themselves into a corner by setting a deadline, but to be fair to them, they were damned if they did and damned if they didn't.

Also pleased to read that the Council haven't invested any money in the scheme so far (apart from the obvious of course - Time and resources). I guess that means the money for diverting services and the new fire station was paid for by others.

I guess it's going to be difficult to now find a developer to develop this site to anything like the original level that was intended. Hammersons aren't stupid, if they're investing in places like Leeds and Southampton but don't want to commit to this scheme they must have major doubts about it's viability.

Regards

Doom

Lets hope that an alternative is lined up, and that was the reason that for the delay between the deadline and the council dropping Hammerson, because I fear in the current economic climate that they'll struggle to find someone to take on the project in anywhere near it's current scale.

The article says the money is there.

I don't think that's the problem though. Are any of you tradesmen? Have you ever had that one customer where nothing is right and they're forever changing things and moving the goalposts? I fear that Sheffield Council was Hammerson's awkward customer.

It will be interesting to find out some inside information from the industry's point of view about it.