Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Fogey, these development are not delicate, they are a sledge hammer. If any of you have been to Brumingham's Bullring, this is a copy. I don't mean the ugly pearly shiny building but the Disneyland type streets between that and New Street station; an awful shopping experience.

he would rather Sheffield was still a village
You haven't put a lot of effort in replying have you?

Block 1 is an emulation of the concrete blocks at the bottom of Cambridge Street and does not follow the current street plan.

Heaven forbid I'll even describe block 2.

Block 3 is more concrete drab.

Block 4 is my bathroom's floor.

Block 5 is erm... won't see it when I park the car hopefully.

Block 6 is like them ugly new schools made of wood.

Cole Brothers' Block 7 is well once more ugly and them lower floors remind me of Birmingham's Pallasades Centre currently earmarket for demolition and France's concrete bananza of the seventies and eighties, also generally being demolished in the naughties.

Block 8 is yet another upwards giant car park. Why they can't dig up and hide is underground and build several smaller car parks. Considering Sheffield's street, this giant parking will be a nice source of traffic jams. It loks like it is three to four times larger than Cole's current car park, look at the queues up Furnival Gate.

Take Sevenstones, put it in the bin and forget consultants haven't spent five minutes on it.

All the public streets and spaces will be open air with the exception of Bethel Walk, the two level street leading to Cole Brotherswhich will be covered by a stunning glass roof to protect it from the elements.
By stunning they mean cheap steel and glass structure or do they mean stunning ornate sculpted arched glass roof? They mean the first don't they? Edited by Captain_Scarlet

It was expected and there were warnings, I am just rubbing it and glad to read a confirmation. In five ish years when it is built, you'll see how it will affect city centre. You'll see. We'll be here in forty years talking about how to demolish it.

It was expected and there were warnings, I am just rubbing it and glad to read a confirmation. In five ish years when it is built, you'll see how it will affect city centre. You'll see. We'll be here in forty years talking about how to demolish it.

Yes I will see how much an improvement it has made.

If you read the article the quotes refer to it beginning once the economy recovers and being that the recession has now bottomed out, it would be fair to say things should be getting back on track in another say 6-12 months.

So the recession has bottomed out has it? Tell that to the now 2 million + unemployed, or wait for the 2010 estimate of nearer 3.5 million to come true. The UK is predicted to be still deep in recession when other major nations start to come out of it to the end of next year. Do you actually read newspapers or watch the news? You sound as though you get your information from Brown and Darling's 'we wish' list.

Shopping patterns are changing, how long do you think that it will take travel agents to cotton on that they could conduct all of their business on line or over the phone? In this age of technology why are there so many mobile phone shops? Surely phones can be purchased and packages arranged on line or in the larger supermarkets. Most of the large furniture shops are now located out of town and the supermarkets are upping their none food ranges.

City centres can be expensive luxuries, and as the recession bites harder it will be the luxuries that go first. IMHO there is no way that Sevenstone will ever happen.

While ever that hellhole known as Meadowhall is still standing, the city centre will never attract successful developments like this.

Bulldoze the place and let's build an indoor "mall" in the city centre that also contains parks and open spaces!