Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Sheffield Council is today searching for a new developer for the flagship £400 million Sevenstone scheme after parting company with property firm Hammerson.

Blah, blah...

Coun Leigh Bramall, Sheffield Council cabinet member for business, skills and development, said: "Blah, blah... so we will now be seeking a new development partner to move the project forward in the shortest time possible.”

Based on previous performance :rolleyes:, anyone want to open a book on how long that will be?

What did they say in WW1 and WW2, "It'll all be over by Christmas", without saying which year!

"Move the project forward". That's not necessarily the same thing as "Build something and complete it", is it?! Politicians, unable to say anything straightforward in plain English, because it might commit them to something.

Edited by mapleboy

Some people obviously havent read the article in The Star - 29th July 2013

So here it is....

Think about it Clown Shoes - who actually owns all this derelict land in the city centre now? Not SCC anymore. Exactly how does SCC 'sack' Hammerson's and bring in another developer?

I think that its been so messy that they could probably spend the next 10 years in court fighting over compensation etc that they are happy to walk away clean.

We dont know what land was owned by who etc and the article says that the land has been handed back. I believe it, cause i think the council probably had a good case for compensation.

Maybe the land is the compensation.

Well when I'm in town with the many other people on fargate or on the Moor or round by the cathedral or on West street I am of course shocked to see such a huge section of the city centre empty and derelict. Sorry but that isn't the case now if John Lewis had closed down or there was a large windswept empty building site then I may be slightly more bothered. In total although I'm quite happy to be corrected on this point I'd imagine maybe thirty to forty small shops in total and most of them on quiet back streets so scarcely a blot on the landscape. One question that has never been answered as far as I'm aware is the new developments in other cities being done by hammerson, how long were they out to tender or in the planning stage?

Coun Bramall said: “We have the finance available, the land is secured under a compulsory purchase order, utilities have been moved in readiness, and the old fire station on Wellington Street has been demolished to make way for a new John Lewis.

The council said it has not invested any money so far in the scheme - so not lost anything.

Well the council must have made the compulsory purchase order, so they'd have money invested in that land right?

So hammerston paid for the utilities to be moved and demo on all the other places too?

They must have been given some cash if they are walking away without a fuss, it said they had millions invested in the scheme.

Well the council must have made the compulsory purchase order, so they'd have money invested in that land right?

So hammerston paid for the utilities to be moved and demo on all the other places too?

They must have been given some cash if they are walking away without a fuss, it said they had millions invested in the scheme.

Originally it was £600m which was scaled back to £300m.

Even if they've investing a couple of million so far then they have got away from the project relatively unscathed.

Whats a bit upsetting is that they thought that Sheffield was not a viable investment and these guys are meant to be the experts. If Leeds, Croydon & Southampton are better than us then we are really screwed.

Lets hope that they've got it wrong.

Edited by Clown Shoes

Absolutely crazy. How can a plan which has compromised so many other Sheffield projects just be allowed to be scrapped like that?
Because it HAS compromised so many other Sheffield projects. Next for one and possibly IKEA. Not that SCC will ever admit that.

You'll forgive me if I don't hold my breath waiting for SCC to sort this fiasco out and actually get something built and opened. At best we're looking at 4 years before we get to an opening day, allowing for SCC finding someone who wants the job, then design it, then build the thing. SCC = Numpties 'R Us.