Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

As long as developments get built who cares how its achieved . If that means development agency`s with friends in high places getting the nod so be it .

At which point the councillor and his mate do everything they can to get as much of the money in their back pocket, putting as little as possible in to the development itself.

I'm not Labour.

Labour are weak. Tories are money grabbing ********. Everyone else is useless.

The simple fact is it doesn't matter who you vote for.

Hammerson: no attention paid whatsoever to the council be they labour, lib dem or tory. It wouldn't matter. They'll have built Sevenstone when they were good and ready, i.e. when profit was on the cards. This council basically just bugged them enough for them to say, "you know what, don't worry about it. We've got other things on".

Next Stores: council blocked them. They just went above their heads. "Excuse me government scivvies, this poxy council won't let us build our store where we want"

"Oh, sorry about that sir. Here, have some planning permission. Dreadfully sorry".

Lol, "vote someone else in". Ha! It doesn't make a blind bit of difference!

As its been done to death, ill not dwell on the whys and wherefores of the current situation.

There's an opportunity here for someone to do a special thing to Sheffield. Embrace our individuality, we don't want to be like Leeds, Manchester or Nottingham. To compete and prosper you have to offer an alternative. The city is full of great minds and ideas, SCC could redeem themselves by including the very people who this impacts on the most....us.

However, my faith in those in charge means that I just cannot see it. We will be left with a run of the mill, looks like all the others city centre and in 20 years time will face the same problems we do today

As its been done to death, ill not dwell on the whys and wherefores of the current situation.

There's an opportunity here for someone to do a special thing to Sheffield. Embrace our individuality, we don't want to be like Leeds, Manchester or Nottingham. To compete and prosper you have to offer an alternative. The city is full of great minds and ideas, SCC could redeem themselves by including the very people who this impacts on the most....us.

However, my faith in those in charge means that I just cannot see it. We will be left with a run of the mill, looks like all the others city centre and in 20 years time will face the same problems we do today

Sheffield I believe has a lot of independent shops but then a lot of people on here say they want the more up market chain stores. Those same stores to be interested in coming to Sheffield have got to have shop units suitable to their needs. So if you asked twwenty people you'd probably get six or seven differing idea's of what to build and where. Sooner or later then some-one has to make a decision and hopefully go withthe majority decision but that obviously means you'll be left with some people complaining that they've been ignored. many people seem to like the featureless soulless look of meadowhall and many shopping environments are leaning towards this and so although sevenstone went some way in this direction they also tried to make it different as well so it wouldn't be like a clone.

Wallbuilder.For a lot of people,me included ,shopping is a mundane functional exercise and the surroundings do not particularly matter.I find meadowhall perfect for this as it is undercover,warm in winter and cool in the summer.You can park easily and also for free.Sightseeing is a different thing altogether and i visit historic cities like york to do that.Sheffield would be better trying to focus on trying to attract visitors to do other things rather than just shop.

.....Only the self serving mendacious council (elected and employed) have continued to pretend this farce was anything other than an embarrassing failure of leadership and commercial negotiation by councilors and the so called "officers" of the council who should now be doing the honorable thing with the mess Webley if they had an iota of decency.

Saw Leigh Bramall, Sheffield Council 'cabinet member for business, skills and development' on the box tonight. He looks about old enough for a pop-gun.

It makes you wonder how much confidence these fancy titled individuals inspire amongst proper business people. He's a councillor for Southey for God's sake.

Because they haven't got a developer to build the building.

That's what Hammerson were going to do.

Shops like John Lewis often don't own the store they occupy, they lease it.[/quote

Surley plenty of developers would quote to build a new john lewis.. If they didnt i cant imagine the rest of it ever going ahead..

Surley plenty of developers would quote to build a new john lewis.. If they didnt i cant imagine the rest of it ever going ahead..

It's not about "quoting", John Lewis aren't commissioning anyone to build a new store for them, with their money. JL aren't going to move to the new site, away from their current prime location unless there is some guarantee the rest of the development is going to be built.

Developers like Hammerson build huge developments with many shops and lease them out to retailers.

Sheffield is looking for a new retail core, not just one store. They may eventually end up splitting it into several phases if they can't get someone to do it all, but that's not yet been decided.

I think that we forget that Sheffield does have a huge retail centre, its called Meadowhall. Plus 2 more major areas in Drake House & Crystal Peaks. Smaller ones but still big on Queens Road & Chesterfield road.

And if youve been down The Moor lately, half of the units are empty for referb & new buildings are being constructed so those will have to be filled.

We arent short of retail or retail space.

With the so called 'death of the high street' can Sheffield sustain 2 major brand stores in Meadowhall & The City Centre. I doubt it.

So the viable option would be to invite stores that are not already in Sheffield & more independent stores but the problem for Independent stores is that new city centre retail units will be expensive and probably not cost effective.

Then there's the dreaded parking which the city centre will never be able to compete with meadowhall on that front.

The new project has be mixed units that can accommodate a slice of all sectors of the market so will need to be versatile. Restaurants, Bars, Leisure, small units, large units, offices & living space.

I think that we forget that Sheffield does have a huge retail centre, its called Meadowhall. Plus 2 more major areas in Drake House & Crystal Peaks. Smaller ones but still big on Queens Road & Chesterfield road.

And if youve been down The Moor lately, half of the units are empty for referb & new buildings are being constructed so those will have to be filled.

We arent short of retail or retail space.

With the so called 'death of the high street' can Sheffield sustain 2 major brand stores in Meadowhall & The City Centre. I doubt it.

So the viable option would be to invite stores that are not already in Sheffield & more independent stores but the problem for Independent stores is that new city centre retail units will be expensive and probably not cost effective.

Then there's the dreaded parking which the city centre will never be able to compete with meadowhall on that front.

The new project has be mixed units that can accommodate a slice of all sectors of the market so will need to be versatile. Restaurants, Bars, Leisure, small units, large units, offices & living space.

your wrong though the size of the more stores are what the retailers want and a lot of gone elsewhere because sheffield cant provide them the next on fargate is a joke crystal peaks one is 5 times the size and the meadowhall one must be 40 times