Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Whilst i would love to see some top end shops move into our city, i cant see it happening. The city centre has been declining for years, and no amount of redevelopment will stop that. The simple fact is that we arent as affluent a community as the likes of Leeds or Manchester, so "big" designer names are less likely to want to risk coming here for the minority of us that are daft enough to pay the prices they charge. With internet shopping on the rise, and Meadowhall down the road, served with great public transport links as well as free parking, its hardly a surprise that the centre has suffered.

He's a councillor for Southey for God's sake.

What has his ward got to do with anything? Churchill was MP for Oldham. Bevin represented Wandsworth and Bevan Ebbw Vale. I suppose in your book that means we lost WW2 and you oppose the NHS.

Thats funny because I thought the Hallam district was one of the most affluent area's in the entire country?

Development will stop the decline of the city centre, but it must be done right.

You can't just shove in a bunch of new shops and flats without providing provisions for people to actually get there - thats something our council are pretty poor at doing, and it's why Meadowhall is streets ahead in the retail sector.

What has his ward got to do with anything? Churchill was MP for Oldham. Bevin represented Wandsworth and Bevan Ebbw Vale. I suppose in your book that means we lost WW2 and you oppose the NHS.

Genuine question.. what business skill does MR Bramall bring to the city? He used to be a PR man didn't he?

Edited by truman

You can't just shove in a bunch of new shops and flats without providing provisions for people to actually get there - thats something our council are pretty poor at doing, and it's why Meadowhall is streets ahead in the retail sector.

Meadowhall's developers carefully chose a location with very good transport links and constructed a prurose built shoppinig adn leaisure centre.

The city centre is where it is and has a road system which has evolved over centruries. I is home to thousands of pople and a lot of different uses.

So, the two are very different.

However, in terms of transport, what do you think that Meadowhall has got that the city centre hasn't?

---------- Post added 30-07-2013 at 12:25 ----------

Then there's the dreaded parking which the city centre will never be able to compete with meadowhall on that front.

What is "dreadful" about parking in the city centre? Ther's as much parking as at Meadowhall and its easily accessible.

Edited by Planner1

Like I said before, I don't think expansion of the city centre is the answer. My personal opinion is that the council needs to lower the rents/rates substantially, provide free parking, better transport links e.g. use Fargate and the Moor as roads and develop some areas .eg. flatten the Moorfoot Building

Like I said before, I don't think expansion of the city centre is the answer. My personal opinion is that the council needs to lower the rents/rates substantially, provide free parking, better transport links e.g. use Fargate and the Moor as roads and develop some areas .eg. flatten the Moorfoot Building

So just how are they going to do that when the Council don't own the properties and the government set business rates?

Moorfoot is a potential development site and the Council would vacate it if the right developer came along with a proposal.

Re-opening pedestrianised areas to traffic is counter-intuitive and isn't going to happen.

So just how are they going to do that when the Council don't own the properties and the government set business rates?

Moorfoot is a potential development site and the Council would vacate it if the right developer came along with a proposal.

Re-opening pedestrianised areas to traffic is counter-intuitive and isn't going to happen.

no they wouldnt they have moved the majority of council staff into moorfoot which was given for free to save money on renting non council space in town.

on this Planner i feel you are wrong

So how do the council make money from shops?

I'm not sure the council operates in Moorfoot or even owns it. I do know that at specific stages the DfES, DWP and Home Office were housed in their.

Why is the reopening of predstrianised areas to traffic counter-intuitive?