Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

I heard over the weekend that the company behind the Sevenstone scheme had gone bust. Does this mean the pound shops and home bargains on The Moor were knocked down for no reason?

Will The Moor be an unfinished wasteland for the foreseeable future?

Anyone know whats going on?

The Moor redevelopment has nothing to do with the Sevenstone, that is up Cambridge Street and around the old Cole Brothers. The council is responsible for the Moor redevelopment.

I read yesterday that Sevenstone are completing building project in France before they start any here due to the "economic CLimate"

Hammersons haven't gone bust but they're certainly looking elsewhere at the moment. Hammersons Statement

Whether they will ever return to Sevenstone remains to be seen. They weren't prepared to stump up for the compulsary purchase orders on the existing buildings last autumn. The council had to buy them instead. That suggests Hammersons aren't really interested.

With a bit of luck we may be spared our very own Arndale Centre.

Hammersons haven't gone bust but they're certainly looking elsewhere at the moment. Hammersons Statement

Whether they will ever return to Sevenstone remains to be seen. They weren't prepared to stump up for the compulsary purchase orders on the existing buildings last autumn. The council had to buy them instead. That suggests Hammersons aren't really interested.

With a bit of luck we may be spared our very own Arndale Centre.

Comments like this are always baffling, do you prefer what's there now?

Comments like this are always baffling, do you prefer what's there now?

Do I prefer the Pepperpot building to a squat box? Do I prefer the former City Bar to a faithfull recreation of the Castle Markets? I think that goes without saying.

As for buildings such as The Grovsner Hotel, you might say that it hardly matters what replaces them. The replacement couldn't be any worse than whats already there.

The problem with Sevenstone was that it proposed an indiscriminate mass clearance. The replacement designs were so shoddy, so focused on the short term economic gain of the developer, that fifteen years from now we'd have been faced with the same squalor we've got now, except that we'd have lost the late 19th/ early 20th century buildings which currently redeem the area.

Do I prefer the Pepperpot building to a squat box? Do I prefer the former City Bar to a faithfull recreation of the Castle Markets? I think that goes without saying.

As for buildings such as The Grovsner Hotel, you might say that it hardly matters what replaces them. The replacement couldn't be any worse than whats already there.

The problem with Sevenstone was that it proposed an indiscriminate mass clearance. The replacement designs were so shoddy, so focused on the short term economic gain of the developer, that fifteen years from now we'd have been faced with the same squalor we've got now, except that we'd have lost the late 19th/ early 20th century buildings which currently redeem the area.

I wonder if there is now a chance of a reprieve for those few decent old buildings, while still producing a (renamed) Sevenstone that updates the city centre with some good new buildings?

I wonder if there is now a chance of a reprieve for those few decent old buildings, while still producing a (renamed) Sevenstone that updates the city centre with some good new buildings?

The Lib Dems were elected with a promise to look at reprieving the best of the existing buildings in the Sevenstone area. Now that Hammersons have declined to cough up for the compulsary purchase orders, the council owns the whole area.

Hammersons still have planning permission for a series of destructive buildings but their designs were drawn up at the height of the City Living boom and its hard to see them stacking up financially today. Its hard to see them building much that they they've already got permission for.

Fingers crossed. We might be safe after all.

Edited by flantastico