Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

And this is why the city center is dead and buried and will never recover.The Anti car policies implemented by sheffield council have killed the city centre.

No.

Many cities in the UK and around the world have similar policies for their city centres. Some have banned them from the centre altogether. Their city centres certainly aren't dead and buried.

The reasons for the city centre under performing are more complex than simply shutting a few roads off and charging for car parking. It's probably had a negligible impact at best taking into account other historic and ongoing factors, such as the initial impact of Meadowhall and the failure to bring forward any sort of major retail development for decades.

No.

Many cities in the UK and around the world have similar policies for their city centres. Some have banned them from the centre altogether. Their city centres certainly aren't dead and buried.

The reasons for the city centre under performing are more complex than simply shutting a few roads off and charging for car parking. It's probably had a negligible impact at best taking into account other historic and ongoing factors, such as the initial impact of Meadowhall and the failure to bring forward any sort of major retail development for decades.

Making the city center car friendly will only be a positive move . The vast majority of visitors to the city centre drive , thats a fact , and if you make those people unwelcome then they will spend their money elsewhere .

Making the city center car friendly will only be a positive move . The vast majority of visitors to the city centre drive , thats a fact , and if you make those people unwelcome then they will spend their money elsewhere .

From my experience most city centres are pedestrianising more and more of their space, in fact they use this as a selling point of their city centres.

Q: why did SCC need Hammerson in the first place?

This is a serious question, by the way; what special magic was the developer supposed to bring to the scheme?

Hammerson build and operate shopping centres. That isn't exactly the Council's core business. They have access to funds and expertise that the Council do not possess.

No it won't. It's a regressive move for all the reasons l've given in my previous posts.

Sheffield city centre already has more parking spaces than Meadowhall. We probably wouldn't be having this conversation at all if the city centre had all the attributes and attractions you would expect of a city the size of Sheffield. This magnifies the issues that are large irrelevant, like parking charges. There are far more serious problems that need to be addressed in the centre, namely the very poor retail offering relative to other nearby city centres.

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 12:07 ----------

Which means that the city centre is now like any other area of the city, with a mix of activities happening in it. So why SCC concentrate on it's development and tend to expend a mere fraction of their effort on developing other areas of the city is beyond me.

SCC focus their efforts on the centre because it is the economic driver of the city and the entire SY region. It is by far the most important part of Sheffield and SY and it is quite right that they focus on it because what happens there effects every other part of the city. It is the heart of Sheffield and if it falters then everywhere else will suffer too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penistone999

No it won't. It's a regressive move for all the reasons l've given in my previous posts.

Sheffield city centre already has more parking spaces than Meadowhall. We probably wouldn't be having this conversation at all if the city centre had all the attributes and attractions you would expect of a city the size of Sheffield. This magnifies the issues that are large irrelevant, like parking charges. There are far more serious problems that need to be addressed in the centre, namely the very poor retail offering relative to other nearby city centres.

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 12:07 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapleboy

Which means that the city centre is now like any other area of the city, with a mix of activities happening in it. So why SCC concentrate on it's development and tend to expend a mere fraction of their effort on developing other areas of the city is beyond me.

SCC focus their efforts on the centre because it is the economic driver of the city and the entire SY region. It is by far the most important part of Sheffield and SY and it is quite right that they focus on it because what happens there effects every other part of the city. It is the heart of Sheffield and if it falters then everywhere else will suffer too.

i know, look how bad the city centre is and how much of a knock on effect its having on meadowhall.....ohh wait....nope silly me, meadowhall thiving

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

i know, look how bad the city centre is and how much of a knock on effect its having on meadowhall.....ohh wait....nope silly me, meadowhall thiving

People come from all over South Yorkshire to go to Meadowhall. Most of my friends including myself hate Meadowhall but it is mostly the only option. Meadowhall is filled with teenagers, families with prams & chavs who are bored.

I like to combine my shopping with a bit of lunch & a few drinks which you cant do in Meadowhall. Like most professionals, student & younger couples. And you have to remember that a huge amount of people work in & around the centre and dont have time for meadowhall.

A city centre shopping experience would certainly sway alot of people. Especially who live in the south of the city.

People come from all over South Yorkshire to go to Meadowhall.

Same with the Trafford Centre in Manchester. Always packed but not necessarily with locals, and it doesn't mean Manchester city centre is dying or losing out.

When I lived in Manchester I hardly ever went there, and certainly not at weekends.

I've very rarely seen you post anything that wasn't a snide dig or sarcastic response to someone making a perfectly reasonable argument. Also, I very rarely see you provide any comment of worth. At least people like Penistone999 actually provide a bit of substance to their arguments, even if I disagree with them.

So, looking at it without a chip on my shoulder or a snappy attitude, I think part of larven's argument is that the Meadowhall area isn't a patch on what it could be if the region as a whole had a stronger economy and if the council backed it's development and progress more than they do now. Neither of those things are the reality, largely because the council focus on protecting/controlling the city centre too much - the city centre suffers because developers walk away from a difficult council, and Mhall suffers because the overall city region is weaker for not having a proper centre. Both town and Mhall could co-exist and prosper; it isn't a zero-sum game.

So, you ridicule his point by pointing out Meadowhall is thriving - well, it may be a big, decent shopping centre but it's a poor, aging relation of many more modern centres and don't forget about the millions of pounds of investment in various commerical and residential developments on adjoining land which is currently stalled.