Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

The only 'tough' decisions they make are the ones which conveniently also help them and their mates out. Bit of extra money here, bit of extra work there...

I dont see anything wrong with that what so ever if it means the work gets done .

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 21:06 ----------

No, which is exactly what the Council DOESN'T do. They have sound traffic management reasons for installing the permit zones and they have ample proof that local people wanted them.

No they have Financial reasons for installing the permit zones. Did over 50% of residents living on the roads that have had a permit zone forced on them vote for one. ? If not ( as im pretty sure is the case) , then the council have gone ahead on request of a MINORITY.

No they have Financial reasons for installing the permit zones. Did over 50% of residents living on the roads that have had a permit zone forced on them vote for one. ? If not ( as im pretty sure is the case) , then the council have gone ahead on request of a MINORITY.

No-one has had a permit zone forced on them.

The Councillors make decisions based on the feedback they get. If the majority who respond are in favour, they will generally go ahead, but it's their decision, consultation isn't a ballot, it's to give the decision makers a flavour of local opinion.

Larven knows where its at. He's posting the truths that Planner 1 avoids.

Having folks moaning about parking charges probably suits the council as it takes peoples minds away from the abject failures in city centre planning (nevermind delivery) over the last 30 years.

For me, in an ideal world, cars should be discouraged from the centre through properly implemented public transport. Cat in hells chance that the planners will ever manage it though. In fact there is no chance at all.

Larven knows where its at. He's posting the truths that Planner 1 avoids.

Having folks moaning about parking charges probably suits the council as it takes peoples minds away from the abject failures in city centre planning (nevermind delivery) over the last 30 years.

For me, in an ideal world, cars should be discouraged from the centre through properly implemented public transport. Cat in hells chance that the planners will ever manage it though. In fact there is no chance at all.

I'm just curious what would you do in your plans for the city centre taking into account of course that present owners of buildings may need encouraging, nothing ever happens overnight in most cases it takes months if not years to get plans passed. Also you seem to be saying that the city council have some say in what a private bus company does, however the company decides what to charge, whaat routes to run on and the number of buses on any one route the council can do nothing. A few idea's I've had is redevelop the bus station as I'd of made it a single structure with several levels above it, shops, offices whatever . I'd also roll out the shared surface idea which means outside the central library for exaample people on foot would have as much right as vehicular traffic, sane with Division street and several others. I'd also redesign the on street parking to increase it and I'd make buses wanting to sit at bus stops illegal if a bus stop is used by more than three numbers of buses.

Not any more its not........... that title belongs to Meadowhall .

Hmmm, I'd question that. Without dragging up the figures at this time of night I think if you do some quick common sense sums you see that your statement is rubbish.

Meadowhall has retail. A few restaurants and a cinema. The immediate peripheral area has a handful of non-retail jobs and virtually no residential population, save for the limited number of people in the closer Wincobank area.

The city centres retail is weaker but not actually as weak as you'd think. Add to the that the 1,000s of non-retail jobs based in the city centre, a vastly, vastly larger residential population in the centre itself and the immediate peripheral areas, many times the number of restaurants, bars and other varied leisure facilities.

Even if you chuck Centretainment in with Meadowhall it still doesn't add up.

You can put M'hall ahead of town for shops all the live long day; that's about as far as the superiority goes though. Oh, obviously you can park your thingy substitute, sorry car wherever you like in the Don Valley.

---------- Post added 03-08-2013 at 00:02 ----------

I dont see anything wrong with that what so ever if it means the work gets done .

You don't see anything wrong with favouritism and nepotism? Yeah, that doesn't suprise me. But even if I agreed, I would have to say it doesn't really get things done anyway.

I think the main problem with public transport vs cars is the way successive councils have gone about it. Rather than be open in getting people onside they have always done it on the sly. This just antagonises motorists and makes them anti public transport.

We have had so many condescending councillors that treat Sheffielders like idiots. Which, from a voting pattern, I suppose we are.

The bus service, as it stands, is fine. I would like to see more use age of train stations and expansion of the tram system leading to more park and rides. All of which are bound to take time but need support for the current facilities from the public. Again it goes back to the council working in an antagonistic manner with its citizens.

Remember when the tram first went in.We were told its happening and you just have to lump it.Even though most on the routes were broadly in favour anyhow!

If you look at any major city, especially in the supposed car mad US, then you'll find that cars are just not needed within the main city hubs.

I think the main problem with public transport vs cars is the way successive councils have gone about it. Rather than be open in getting people onside they have always done it on the sly. This just antagonises motorists and makes them anti public transport.

We have had so many condescending councillors that treat Sheffielders like idiots. Which, from a voting pattern, I suppose we are.

The bus service, as it stands, is fine. I would like to see more use age of train stations and expansion of the tram system leading to more park and rides. All of which are bound to take time but need support for the current facilities from the public. Again it goes back to the council working in an antagonistic manner with its citizens.

Remember when the tram first went in.We were told its happening and you just have to lump it.Even though most on the routes were broadly in favour anyhow!

If you look at any major city, especially in the supposed car mad US, then you'll find that cars are just not needed within the main city hubs.

Remember that public transport services are not in the control of the Council. They are the responsibility of SYPTE.

No-one has had a permit zone forced on them.

The Councillors make decisions based on the feedback they get. If the majority who respond are in favour, they will generally go ahead, but it's their decision, consultation isn't a ballot, it's to give the decision makers a flavour of local opinion.

Sounds familiar......well Sheffield made £2.5m profit.

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/business/car-parking-a-cash-cow-1-5917675