Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

We have thousands of near empty cars clogging the road. How many cars do you see with one or two people in them? Probably the vast majority l reckon.

Most cities subsidise public transport to some degree because they know the vast benefits that having an effective transport system can bring.

How can something that has to be subsidized be effective ?

Because if there were no public transport roads would soon be gridlocked with cars and people who don't drive wouldn't be bale to get about.

Lots of other things are subsidised - education, agriculture, industry, the BBC, science, the military, the royals.... in fact just about every social institution. It's the way society hangs together thanks to government intervention. Of course people with relatively small brains and relatively large egos who can't see beyond their own little world may not know that.

Yeah, we get it, you only see things in terms of £££s. Give it a rest.

Pretty sure free health care is pretty effective at keeping people healthy. Also pretty sure such a system will never turn a profit. Thus tax money spent on the NHS or subsidies for private healthcare.

Because if there were no public transport roads would soon be gridlocked with cars and people who don't drive wouldn't be bale to get about.

Instead of being gridlocked with empty buses clogging the roads because they can afford to run round empty because they are heavily subsidized .:roll:

Instead of being gridlocked with empty buses clogging the roads because they can afford to run round empty because they are heavily subsidized .:roll:

I'd love to know where all these empty buses are that you keep going on about, all the buses I see are carrying several people.

In fact, when the roads are busy, all the buses I've seen in the last few months (probably years) have been carrying more people than would fit into the same road space in cars. The only times when buses look inefficient is early morning / late evening, but there's no real competition for road space then.

The London Underground has to be subsidised but it is difficult to imagine how London could cope without it. I wonder if someone has done the sums and worked out what the financial cost to London would be if it didn't have an underground system?

I'd love to know where all these empty buses are that you keep going on about, all the buses I see are carrying several people.

In fact, when the roads are busy, all the buses I've seen in the last few months (probably years) have been carrying more people than would fit into the same road space in cars. The only times when buses look inefficient is early morning / late evening, but there's no real competition for road space then.

Okay, take a look at Crystal Peaks bus station, the 120 leaves every 4 minutes for Fulwood, many of them running empty, A total waste of resources and money and totally unnecessary

Okay, take a look at Crystal Peaks bus station, the 120 leaves every 4 minutes for Fulwood, many of them running empty, A total waste of resources and money and totally unnecessary

How many passengers does that bus pick up along the full length of its trip to Fulwood and back?

How many passengers does that bus pick up along the full length of its trip to Fulwood and back?

Interesting question, I suppose only the operators could answer you that, but why are they running every 4 minutes? Surely the service doesn't warrant service saturation to that degree.