Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

I know you guys wont be too intewrested in another nightlcub in Sheffield but the article is quite damning and a familair story of the Sheffield Council planning department.

Have a read.......

Appeal Press Release

GATECRASHER VOW TO APPEAL PLANNING REFUSAL

Gatecrasher bosses today (20th April) told its supporters The Party is Not Over! The international club brand vowed to fight on to establish itself back in its spiritual home of Sheffield. Simon Raine, the brand’s Managing Director, confirmed that Gatecrasher is considering launching a public enquiry appeal against the refusal of planning permission for its proposed £5 million venue below the 'cheesegrater' car park on the corner of Charles Street and Arundel Gate.

Despite overwhelming public support with over 15,000 people backing the proposed club, council planners rejected the proposal on the basis that the development would 'would risk Sheffield’s Heart of the City regeneration plan'.

A public enquiry is the only way the club can cross examine the council offers and their witnesses on their evidence. Gatecrasher’s main concern is that its application which cost over £70,000 to prepare as well as several months of work to submit was never given due consideration, bosses from Gatecrasher tried to get in touch with planners on several occasions to discuss plans but were met by brick walls.

During the hearing, planners appeared to have little or no knowledge of the plans that had been submitted and clearly had not studied the proposal and dispersal policy. Following months of work the application was rejected in just thirty minutes with no reasonable reason. Gatecrasher was given two minutes to present its case and was not allowed to ask or cross examine councillors. The application for the proposed club was given as much time as the man who had a problem with 30 foot conifer tree next door. Given the regional significance and the economic benefits the club would bring, Gatecrasher believes this is unacceptable.

Simon Raine commented;

“Gatecrasher is still intent on returning to the city, it’s where we belong. We are most disappointed for the 15,000 people who backed us but we refuse to be beaten and will return to the city, The Party is not Over! We have exactly the same goal as Sheffield City Council, to regenerate Sheffield and put it firmly on the map in terms of world-class entertainment. I find it hard to believe that Sheffield will find another tenant for a 30,000 square foot underground car park ."

Gatecrasher is intent on thanking the city of Sheffield for its support and is inviting everyone who lodged a statement of support free tickets to Gatecrasher Birmingham on the 1st May. The event will be headlined by superstar DJ Paul Oakenfold who is transporting his Vegas show to Gatecrasher’s Birmingham club including circus performers, cutting edge visuals and special effects. Gatecrasher will contact all by e mail – for information contact Sheffield@gatecrasher.co.uk

Gatecrasher’s flagship Birmingham club goes from strength to strength with a host of superstar DJs jetting into the club in the next few weeks including Fedde Le Grande, Erick Morillo and Will.I.AM from the Black Eyed Peas.

Well there is the 'big announcement'.

Must admit I can't see any good news in there - just what we've all been saying on here already, that Hammerson now own a lot of the buildings that have been compulsorily purchased, and now have the council over a barrel when it comes to buying them back. Julie Dore may say that the council will not be held to ransom by Hammerson, but what it really means is, the council will be held to ransom by Hammerson. The legal agreement they have may mean he council can buy back the buildings, but I bet it doesn't say how much Hammerson have to sell it for. Looks like we're in for some more delicate and complex negotiations!

Edited by metalman

One thing that I find annoying is that statement 'a source close to the council' who exactly was that and how accurate was any info they divulged. I'd of hoped that the council would be saying in no un-certain terms that hammersons can take a run and jump as they've messed the city around for too long. I'd also like to hope that the council aren't slow in making a definite decision and keep the city informed . So if a new developer or developers has to be got on board for the rest of the site then I want names and potential dates, if hammersons start playing silly buggers I want them to be kicked out totally which apparently can be done legally but in this as well I'd like a timescale.

Can't the council just compulsory purchase them back ?

yes it says as such in the last sentence of that article, I've no idea whether Hammerson could slow this process down but again really hope that the council take a very straight forward approach and don't allow it to start dragging on.

Can't the council just compulsory purchase them back ?

When the properties were initially compulsory purchased, this was for a development that was due to go ahead. The purchase price should have been on that basis, raising the market value. We are now in the middle of a recession, with no development planned. The market value should have plummeted. Surely any compulsory purchase at this time should reflect this reduced value.

When the properties were initially compulsory purchased, this was for a development that was due to go ahead. The purchase price should have been on that basis, raising the market value. We are now in the middle of a recession, with no development planned. The market value should have plummeted. Surely any compulsory purchase at this time should reflect this reduced value.

My understanding is that the contract gives the Council a time limited option to buy the property at the current market price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eater Sundae

My understanding is that the contract gives the Council a time limited option to buy the property at the current market price.

they better hurry up then....no wait, wait another couple of years till that end of town on its knees and then they will be worthless!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android