Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Am i the only one who didnt believe a word of what Cllr Dore said in the Star ?

So just because Sheffield has already been held to ransom for 8 years you think that she's lying when she says that Sheffield won't held to ransom?

Cynic!

One or two of my friends had been posing questions much the same as some of those being posed on the forum. I'd of thought the easiest way to get answers to such questions would be to contact the council and ask them rather than relying on the Star .

One or two of my friends had been posing questions much the same as some of those being posed on the forum. I'd of thought the easiest way to get answers to such questions would be to contact the council and ask them rather than relying on the Star .

What direct questions do propose to ask of SCC, specifically?

Well why dont you start a new thread called "Questions you'd like to ask SCC" and one person from SF can ask all the questions we deem relevant?

A possible time scale would be nice, people seem to think Hammerson could prove difficult so can they be a pain, will the development be of the same size and same plan as the original. Could the council give updates without only relying on the Star, What will people see initially as work starts,will they endeavour to keep most of the building work screened off by shops still in business. Are there going to be any road shows to show what will be done. . What issues still need to be overcome

Just a few questions and I'm sure others could think of others as well

How will a piecemeal development be co-ordinated so that there isnt constant disruption in the city centre for the next 10/15 years?

If SCC cant manage one developer, how does it propose to manage a handful so as not to end up with a number of failed bite size schemes?

Sevenstone could have worked because of its critical mass (size)- the most valuable parts would have subsidised the development of the less valuable parts. What advice has been taken as to whether building it in small chunks will work? Who's going to build the parts that arent financially feasible on their own?

Can SCC assure us that they can work with developers and deliver a decent end result- not a poor quality, mis-matched bodge job, because if thats what we get I think the city centre would develop better organically- ie- do away with the grand masterplan and SCC involvement and just let it happen.

How will a piecemeal development be co-ordinated so that there isnt constant disruption in the city centre for the next 10/15 years?

If SCC cant manage one developer, how does it propose to manage a handful so as not to end up with a number of failed bite size schemes?

Sevenstone could have worked because of its critical mass (size)- the most valuable parts would have subsidised the development of the less valuable parts. What advice has been taken as to whether building it in small chunks will work? Who's going to build the parts that arent financially feasible on their own?

Can SCC assure us that they can work with developers and deliver a decent end result- not a poor quality, mis-matched bodge job, because if thats what we get I think the city centre would develop better organically- ie- do away with the grand masterplan and SCC involvement and just let it happen.

Can a developer give the money to SCC to buy back the property from Hammerson?

What sort of money would we be looking at? £1m, £5m, £10, £50m?

So a few sensible, non critical questions. if we want answers though i doubt that the Star will be a good source for those answers unless they used up half the paper to give an accurate run down on the state of play which they'll never do . So to gain answers either the council have to be persuaded to give all the info on a detailed web page, something I asked for by the way or people are going to have to start ringing and asking to speak to Ron ree's who I believe is still the director in charge of things as far as the development goes. There was some other guy named in the report so I suppose people could ask to speak to him as well. I may send off an email with a few questions on it and ask for the answers to be in an answer format so the info isn't lost in a sea of jargon, others could do the same