Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

When the Moor was an open living thoroughfare it was an integral part of our City packed with people and street life.

It has become a steralised semi park.

I assume you've not been in the area for a time as your observations are so wildly inaccurate or just wrong. I'll admit it's not the major shopping destination that it once was but things are changing in that regard with new retail units going in that the retailers may actually want to move in to. There are still a great many people moving through and around the area so people are obviously still finding reasons to go there and once the new market is open, the cinema complex with it's shops, the refurbishment of Atkinsons and Debenhams and the new retail units on the corner where McDonalds used to be are completed then that's going to draw more people in as well.

I assume you've not been in the area for a time as your observations are so wildly inaccurate or just wrong. I'll admit it's not the major shopping destination that it once was but things are changing in that regard with new retail units going in that the retailers may actually want to move in to. There are still a great many people moving through and around the area so people are obviously still finding reasons to go there and once the new market is open, the cinema complex with it's shops, the refurbishment of Atkinsons and Debenhams and the new retail units on the corner where McDonalds used to be are completed then that's going to draw more people in as well.

I walk from Moorfoot to the Castle Market every Monday morning, the differerence in footfall gets more apparent the closer you get to Castle Gate .

My observations are the same as yours I.E.mine !and are just my opinion which is what a forum is all about.

Is it not?

Just to play the devil's advocate, aren't SCC and SWIP rather different beasts? SWIP have lots and lots of money and are able to use it to build retail units that will earn them far more money in the long run. SCC are a local authority with extremely limited funds and lots of demand for those funds, so can't look to long term investments.

The best that SCC can ever hope to do is to sub-divide the former Sevenstone land into smaller parcels for other developers to take on.

Yes SCC & SWIP are different beasts, but im not so sure that SWIP have lots & lots of money.

SWIP are presently up for sale by Lloyds to assist paying for the black hole of an admitted £5billion hole.

Have you noticed that SWIP have demolished one building on the moor (Next to Debenhams) and knocked another hole in the next building (Old job shop) and then the site has finished?

Now, unless im mistaken, business rates are no longer payable on the demolished site.

Thats some great investment. ;)

Yes, SCC & SWIP are different beasts, but I'm not so sure that SWIP have lots & lots of money.

SWIP are presently up for sale by Lloyds to assist paying for the black hole of an admitted £5billion hole.

Have you noticed that SWIP have demolished one building on The Moor (next to Debenhams) and knocked another hole in the next building (old job shop) and then the site has finished?

Now, unless I'm mistaken, business rates are no longer payable on the demolished site.

That's some great investment. ;)

It's all still going to plan.

An application was made last week for "Block One" of The Moor (the one that's half demolished) where Bowmer and Kirkland will be doing a few jobs such as drainage, seat removal on Charter Row, etc before handing back the site to Demolition Services Ltd.

The new year will then see the framework going up for the new cinema.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

An application was made last week for "Block One" of The Moor (the one that's half demolished) where Bowmer and Kirkland will be doing a few jobs such as drainage, seat removal on Charter Row, etc before handing back the site to Demolition Services Ltd.

Ive been waiting 13 years....

Have Demolition Services Ltd organised for Debenhams to be able to go about their deliveries now? So the site clearance can continue?

You gotta love these continual school boy errors. Its probably why Rome wasnt built in a day.

• 2 months later...

So the cinema is getting done next year then, is that official?

Also, any news on which cinema operator will be taking it on?

Sheffield announced it was closed for business the day it decided to build that big red pile of bricks to block the route into town from London Road. I think any potential Sevenstone developer seeing that would quickly take the bus back to whereever he had left his car and head for the M1 and Leeds.