Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

I went into town today for the TdF big screen. I noticed on Chapel Walk alone there were 8 shops up for rent. The city centre seems to be dying on its feet.

It's time you buccaneering entrepreneurs pulled your socks up then isn't it?

I went into town today for the TdF big screen. I noticed on Chapel Walk alone there were 8 shops up for rent. The city centre seems to be dying on its feet.

Chapel walk has been on the decline for many years. Once had the most expensive rents, but it just doesnt get the high spending custimers and doesnt have the bests shops. Just reflects the slow decline of affluence in the city centre. I liked it when there were bookshops. Times change.

A typical example of the decline in Sheffield is to be found on High Street. There was a large department store which I think was Rackham's. It went down market and became Pauldens. It later became TJ Hughes and now it is a Pound Land. Next stop a betting shop.

Edited by Scabbydog

A typical example of the decline in Sheffield is to be found on High Street. There was a large department store which I think was Rackham's. It went down market and became Pauldens. It later became TJ Hughes and now it is a Pound Land. Next stop a betting shop.

Cockaynes turned into Schofields, didn't it? The TJ Hughes building was House of Fraser and before that Rackhams during my time in Sheffield. It was Walshes before that.

Sad to hear that there's another Poundland at the site of a once fine department store.

ETA: Ah, you must have edited just as I clicked 'reply'.

Edited by Guest

Cockaynes turned into Schofields, didn't it? The TJ Hughes building was House of Fraser and before that Rackhams during my time in Sheffield. It was Walshes before that.

Sad to hear that there's another Poundland at the site of a once fine department store.

Sadly it correctly shows the needs of the majority of the people of Sheffield, how much?

It amazes me the shortness of memory on this forum, that everyone bemoans Meadowhall, but it's success is partly because Eddie Healey built Meadowhall during a recession - he picked up the land cheap for a song (it was a contaminated industrial brown field site) and was strict on contracts. The size of the development guaranteed that for the time it would take to build, there was no specified planned tenants at the beginning of the build phase until MnS decided that they wanted to be a 'gateway' and Sainsbury's wanted a large presence with easy access from the M1.

Some of the most successful businesses in the world have been started during a downturn/recession, partly because it it instilled a different mentality to the company and to plan for harsh times.

ETA: Ah, you must have edited just as I clicked 'reply'.

Walshes. That was the place. Upmarket department store.

So it had gone downmarket when it became Rackhams.

I can't help thinking Sheffield doesn't help itself. We were in town yesterday afternoon. The place was buzzing with the continental market and yet nearly all the cafes were shut. Eventually we called for a coffee at Costa. We sat outside for 10 minutes and no one bothered to serve us so we went to the Sheaf View for a pint instead.

When we walked down the Moor at around 4.30 it was pretty much dead.

Edited by Scabbydog

Sadly it correctly shows the needs of the majority of the people of Sheffield, how much?

Perhaps it reflects more the nature of the businesses willing and able to invest in a large, prime site in Sheffield city centre.

Sheffield should look to somewhere like Birmingham: large, urban, student-friendly, excellent public transport, and supportive not only of its traditions but of modern regeneration.