Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

You are of course correct.

Furthermore SCC are quite happy sat on their 6 figure salaries for them and their mates.

No point in rocking the boat.

Besides, if Sheffield gets more prosperous Sheffielders might start to wake up and get aspirational. Then they might stop voting for Sheffield's special brand of Labour! Disaster!!!

No. Better to keep Sheffield a dump and keep feeding the message that it's everyone's fault other than SCC's so keep voting SCC.

Can I ask you the same question as I did to one of the other posters.

Could you please tell me just who SCC is that you blame for everything?

It's difficult to pinpoint because there are that many doing so little, but this lot are the "brains" of the beast.

http://sheffielddemocracy.moderngov.co.uk/mgCommitteeDetails.aspx?ID=123

I like that Bramall's job description has a typo. Very apt.

Then you've got this lot

http://sheffielddemocracy.moderngov.co.uk/mgCommitteeDetails.aspx?ID=154

Then there are the numerous unelected heads of various departments. These are really cushy numbers. Big salary, no responsibility, just say the right things.

Then there are the various sub contractors who get paid a fortune to offer advice. Which looking at the city centre generally doesn't seem very good advice.

I think some people struggle to differentiate between disliking the council and disliking Sheffield. Sheffield is a great place with great people. But this is in spite of the clowns running it. Not because of them.

Do everyones names, exact responsibilities and their complete role in any scenario ever get fully divulged???

For example is any one person responsible for the Next/Ikea debatable??

I think when a company has to take the council to a public inquiry to get planning permission sorted then something is very wrong.

It should not be that difficult for them to do business here, they should not need to force the matter through because the council are so horrendously wrong and behaving so badly.

It's difficult to pinpoint because there are that many doing so little, but this lot are the "brains" of the beast.

Then you've got this lot

Then there are the numerous unelected heads of various departments. These are really cushy numbers. Big salary, no responsibility, just say the right things.

Then there are the various sub contractors who get paid a fortune to offer advice. Which looking at the city centre generally doesn't seem very good advice.

I think some people struggle to differentiate between disliking the council and disliking Sheffield. Sheffield is a great place with great people. But this is in spite of the clowns running it. Not because of them.

It's rare that I say this, but ... excellent post! :thumbsup:

Then you've got this lot

There is a saying, no matter who you vote for the council get in.

I think you will find that the leadership of the council has changed from different parties over the time line of the Sevenstone project and the Airport, so just who do we blame? If you have any better ideas please stand for office.

It seems that, the supporters of the council will do anything but blame SCC for the failure for, one of the largest cities in England, ending up as the only one without a modern retail facility in its city centre.

is that such a bad thing?

.... and the demise of the Airport.....

what could the council have done to save the airport?

There is a saying, no matter who you vote for the council get in.

I think you will find that the leadership of the council has changed from different parties over the time line of the Sevenstone project and the Airport, so just who do we blame? If you have any better ideas please stand for office.

There's not really much a change of council can achieve here short term. That's because the dominant party has filled all the key salaried positions with folk who think like the idiots that gave them the job. You would need 10-15 years with a change of leadership before anything really started to change.

So really you are faced with 2 alternatives. One is to watch Sheffield sink further and further into dereliction or you can simply move to somewhere that is moving forward.

---------- Post added 07-07-2014 at 13:37 ----------

what could the council have done to save the airport?

As Sheffield is the largest city in Europe not to have an airport perhaps they should look to those that have for an answer.

There's not really much a change of council can achieve here short term.

there isn't much a council can do in the short, medium or long term, changed or not changed since they don't have the power to do anything

mr miliband's plan to decentralise could change that but for now councils are pretty much powerless

---------- Post added 07-07-2014 at 13:47 ----------

As Sheffield is the largest city in Europe not to have an airport perhaps they should look to those that have for an answer.

there was an airport but there were very few customers , the council can hardly force people to fly when they don't want too

there was an airport but there were very few customers , the council can hardly force people to fly when they don't want too

I agree, although we don't have an airport in the city it's not like you actually have to travel very far to get to one, you've got 3 within about an hours drive so there's too much competition for a forth really.

---------- Post added 07-07-2014 at 14:01 ----------

there isn't much a council can do in the short, medium or long term, changed or not changed since they don't have the power to do anything

mr miliband's plan to decentralise could change that but for now councils are pretty much powerless

I'm not entirely sure that plan would be a change for good anyway.

The moronic way some councils (and I'm talking across the whole country here) waste money is beyond belief.

How about Cambridge council for example, Tory lead and they wasted millions converting an old rail line to a guided busway.

The project was 2 years overdue and was nearly 100 million more than was initially costed at.

You want to give more power and more money to idiots like that??

The country will be ruined!!

Edited by geared