Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

:hihi:

While its Ben curran Cabinet Member for Finance and Resources nothing will get going ,he left lib dems in 2010 to join labour

wouldn't trust him to run a tuk shop

He left the Libs because they promised one thing to get elected in the area and changed it as soon as they did.

Does that ring any bells with you?

---------- Post added 07-12-2014 at 12:37 ----------

There is supposedly a statement regarding the development being made around Christmas time, this could go on as long as the Bradford hole in the road.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote

Doubt this will be completed in anyone's lifetimes.

I like the area as it is with Henry's bar on the corner along with the new fish and chip restaurant the old Athol Pub building , the salvation army one with its marvellous interior and last but not least the pepper pot building on the corner of Pinstone Street.

Tidy the area up bring back the old pubs and little mester yards into use you will have a bohemian inner City area to rival any where in England.

So who did you hear this from? its always been scheduled for 2016 as far as I know.

I heard this from someone who works in the Market . I was told it came from a Radio Sheffield interview on the anniversary of the Market , it was suggested that the Markets business would improve when the new development was complete , one of the traders , apparently , replied that by then it would be too late for some of them as the development had been delayed . I did not hear the broadcast myself and I did not know the original estimated time of the completion. I accepted this in good faith .

---------- Post added 07-12-2014 at 15:23 ----------

I like the area as it is with Henry's bar on the corner along with the new fish and chip restaurant the old Athol Pub building , the salvation army one with its marvellous interior and last but not least the pepper pot building on the corner of Pinstone Street.

Tidy the area up bring back the old pubs and little mester yards into use you will have a bohemian inner City area to rival any where in England.

To achieve this would take imagination , foresight and courage , our Council is bereft of these attributes .:roll:

Edited by BIGLIL

Sheffield already has Division Street and Chapel Gate on which there are many empty premises. We can't set aside all of Sheffield for independent traders, there needs to be some modern retail units in the city centre to attract and keep national chains in the area. They've chosen to fill in the area between Division Street, the Moor, and Fargate which makes sense from flow of people perspective, but as with the move of the market Sheffield loses something from it's history.

---------- Post added 07-12-2014 at 15:55 ----------

I heard this from someone who works in the Market . I was told it came from a Radio Sheffield interview on the anniversary of the Market , it was suggested that the Markets business would improve when the new development was complete , one of the traders , apparently , replied that by then it would be too late for some of them as the development had been delayed . I did not hear the broadcast myself and I did not know the original estimated time of the completion. I accepted this in good faith .

The original plan has already been delayed a number of times so that might be what the trader is referring to. No delays have been announced since they started clearing the site, from a layman's perspective it does appear that there has been delays in clearing the site but since we don't actually have a timeline in front of us for their planned works then anything else is pure speculation.

Edited by smiggs

Sheffield already has Division Street and Chapel Gate on which there are many empty premises. We can't set aside all of Sheffield for independent traders, there needs to be some modern retail units in the city centre to attract and keep national chains in the area. They've chosen to fill in the area between Division Street, the Moor, and Fargate which makes sense from flow of people perspective, but as with the move of the market Sheffield loses something from it's history.

---------- Post added 07-12-2014 at 15:55 ----------

The original plan has already been delayed a number of times so that might be what the trader is referring to. No delays have been announced since they started clearing the site, from a layman's perspective it does appear that there has been delays in clearing the site but since we don't actually have a timeline in front of us for their planned works then anything else is pure speculation.

I agree and I don`t want to add speculation / rumour to the mix , but, having said that , I pass the site quite often and it does appear a bit quiet , no one around and no activity , maybe they`re winding down for Christmas . :hihi:

• 2 weeks later...

2019 SEEMS A LONG WAY OFF. THOUGHT IT WAS ALL MEANT TO START IN 2016?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/sheffield-city-development-gathers-pace

Sheffield City Council is now seeking to engage with a strategic development partner to help deliver the much-anticipated new retail quarter in the city centre.

This brings plans closer to realisation and on target to deliver the first phase of a new scheme during 2019.

The announcement comes after six months of intensive work with a new team of expert advisors, and detailed research into consumer trends and regional demand, mapped against existing and pipeline provisions in Sheffield.

The result is an exciting retail and leisure-led scheme combined with office and residential provision to provide a more mixed use destination.

The new scheme will link the Moor to Fargate through Barker’s Pool, to deliver improved economic benefits to the city as a whole.

Councillor Leigh Bramall, Sheffield City Council’s Cabinet Member for Business, Skills and Development said: “The new scheme for the retail quarter will bring unity to Sheffield city centre, creating one continuous link from The Moor through and up to Fargate.

“This will accelerate growth in the rest of the city centre, increasing the performance of the existing retail offer and making the city centre a much more attractive shopping destination.”

The scheme will also facilitate more modern methods of shopping. While physical retailing remains fundamental, the function of shops is changing.

For example, the mixed-use scheme will devote more “floor space” for leisure and also embrace an increased demand for fast and casual dining.

The new plans have already been met with enthusiasm by retailers looking for additional trading space.

Coun Bramall said: “We felt that it would be appropriate to test the market and gather valuable feedback from those that would potentially operate and trade from the space.”

Sheffield City Council is now entering into the procurement process to appoint a strategic development partner. The means of delivering re-development in a city centre is a complex process and the city needs to work with the right development partner.

It is envisaged that the new scheme concept will be progressed to public consultation next month when the plans will be revealed.

Coun Bramall added: “The people of Sheffield have been waiting a long time for a more attractive retail destination in the city centre and we are pleased to progress to a stage where we are building real momentum and look forward to sharing our detailed ideas through consultation in the New Year.”

[/i]

Edited by SaferSheff

The Moor development is a private development, I think it's owned by Scottish Widows.

Who was it who picked them and Hamesons as partners to redevelop the city?

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 12:16 ----------

Good news for city centre regeneration that a new solution to the new retail quarter is being worked on. It'll take time but will be worth it. Hope some of the significant architecture can be incorporated.

So back to where we were 5 years ago then.

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 12:19 ----------

I see the Lottery has turned down giving funding towards the Sheffield Castle scheme as well.

Believe it when i see it. I wouldnt trust this Labour council to run a bath.

That's because you don't want to, or any other Labour council for that matter

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 12:43 ----------

I think it's wrong to expand the city centre. What it needs are better shops, better quality buildings, better parking (free), better road layouts (no one-ways, pestrianised areas etc) and better public transport.