Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Who was it who picked them and Hamesons as partners to redevelop the city?

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 12:16 ----------

So back to where we were 5 years ago then.

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 12:19 ----------

I see the Lottery has turned down giving funding towards the Sheffield Castle scheme as well.

Wow you are insanely negative about Sheffield in everything you post, do you ever stop moaning?

As far as I recall nobody picked Scottish Widows for the Moor, because for all intents and purposes, they own it and within planning regs they can develop it as they please.

There is a whole thread about sevenstones and why that fell through, but it was largely due to the recession and it not offering a decent enough propsect. Go and read up on it and teach yourself something.

I think it's wrong to expand the city centre. What it needs are better shops, better quality buildings

Not sure I quite get this - surely the whole point of this new development is to provide exactly the kind of high-quality retail space needed for what you describe? And given how far behind in terms of quanity and quality of shops Sheffield is compared to it's peer cities, I would say expansion at this point is a must.

better parking (free)

When it makes financial sense, the private operators and council will make their car parks free. You may well find the organisation who eventually operator any new shopping centre may operate a parking validation scheme.

Does the name Paul Scriven ring any bell?

So Sheffield Council then?

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 13:39 ----------

Wow you are insanely negative about Sheffield in everything you post, do you ever stop moaning?

As far as I recall nobody picked Scottish Widows for the Moor, because for all intents and purposes, they own it and within planning regs they can develop it as they please.

There is a whole thread about sevenstones and why that fell through, but it was largely due to the recession and it not offering a decent enough propsect. Go and read up on it and teach yourself something.

Are you the forum police? Is it your job to follow other posters around?

So why did Hamersons move to Leeds was the recession confined only to South Yorkshire.

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 13:43 ----------

Not sure I quite get this - surely the whole point of this new development is to provide exactly the kind of high-quality retail space needed for what you describe? And given how far behind in terms of quanity and quality of shops Sheffield is compared to it's peer cities, I would say expansion at this point is a must.

When it makes financial sense, the private operators and council will make their car parks free. You may well find the organisation who eventually operator any new shopping centre may operate a parking validation scheme.

I'm afraid that I agree with Mecky. The city centre doesn't need to be any larger. It needs quality shops and not poind shops. Stores not betting shops. There is no point having a strung out city centre where folk have to walk past boarded up buildings between shops.

Sheffield is struggling to get any decent names to invest. Filling the city with rubbish won't encourage them, although free parking might.

So Sheffield Council then?

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 13:39 ----------

Are you the forum police? Is it your job to follow other posters around?

So why did Hamersons move to Leeds was the recession confined only to South Yorkshire.

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 13:43 ----------

I'm afraid that I agree with Mecky. The city centre doesn't need to be any larger. It needs quality shops and not poind shops. Stores not betting shops. There is no point having a strung out city centre where folk have to walk past boarded up buildings between shops.

Sheffield is struggling to get any decent names to invest. Filling the city with rubbish won't encourage them, although free parking might.

You can go and read up on the Sevenstones project. The wiki would be a start.

They are a company whose objective is to make money. They constanly review any number of projects to decide where to invest their resources. The project did not lock them in so when the recession came along and various monies were withdrawn the sevenstones project became a less attractive option so they pulled out. Why they were able to pull out without substantial penalty clauses is another question. There is a long thread on this plus you have the whole internet to look at to do some research on.

Its all very well turning your nose up at betting or £ shops but they are the only retailiers willing to come forward, because they can make money here. If the Sheffield economy was better then more retailers would be interested and more developers would be asking to build and redevelop here. The potential to make money matters far more than anything the council does. Your alternative to no betting shops, mini supermarkets is empty shops.

If you wnat free parking in the city centre, then decide whose land you are going to use. If you have free parking people will just leave their cars there all day or longer.

You can go and read up on the Sevenstones project. The wiki would be a start.

They are a company whose objective is to make money. They constanly review any number of projects to decide where to invest their resources. The project did not lock them in so when the recession came along and various monies were withdrawn the sevenstones project became a less attractive option so they pulled out. Why they were able to pull out without substantial penalty clauses is another question. There is a long thread on this plus you have the whole internet to look at to do some research on.

Its all very well turning your nose up at betting or £ shops but they are the only retailiers willing to come forward, because they can make money here. If the Sheffield economy was better then more retailers would be interested and more developers would be asking to build and redevelop here. The potential to make money matters far more than anything the council does. Your alternative to no betting shops, mini supermarkets is empty shops.

If you wnat free parking in the city centre, then decide whose land you are going to use. If you have free parking people will just leave their cars there all day or longer.

I don't need free parking in Sheffield. They solved the parking problem by destroying the city centre and leaving a desolate landscape of betting shops and pound shops. So really I like so many others wouldn't bother giving my custom tothe city centre because there are better shops that are easier to get to, where we can park for free and where you could even get a decent lunch and a decent pint too ifyou wanted one.

That's the dilema. No investor will build a decent store in the centre of Sheffield because there aren't the customers there. If you have £20 million to build a store you can build it for pretty much the same where it will attract customers.

So you have a chicken and egg situation. What a pity they destroyed the city centre. It would be so much easier to regenerate if you weren't starting this far down the spiral.

I don't need free parking in Sheffield. They solved the parking problem by destroying the city centre and leaving a desolate landscape of betting shops and pound shops. So really I like so many others wouldn't bother giving my custom tothe city centre because there are better shops that are easier to get to, where we can park for free and where you could even get a decent lunch and a decent pint too ifyou wanted one.

That's the dilema. No investor will build a decent store in the centre of Sheffield because there aren't the customers there. If you have £20 million to build a store you can build it for pretty much the same where it will attract customers.

So you have a chicken and egg situation. What a pity they destroyed the city centre. It would be so much easier to regenerate if you weren't starting this far down the spiral.

Just who is "they" you keep referring to?

Just who is "they" you keep referring to?

I believe he blames the council, the rest he just moans without understanding the economics of the situation and the way Sheffield has developed. He likes to slate and moan Sheffild , the city centre in every post, but doesnt actually use them himself and never has.

Does the name Paul Scriven ring any bell?

Uhmmm? I think you will find Hammerson was already involved, by the time the LibDems gained control of the council they were the ones who told Hammerson to either start executing the plans or to leave the council free to proceed as they wished.

As Hammerson decided to put the money into the (failed/failing) Leeds Docks instead of Sheffield it seems that was the right call, wouldn't you say so?

Uhmmm? I think you will find Hammerson was already involved, by the time the LibDems gained control of the council they were the ones who told Hammerson to either start executing the plans or to leave the council free to proceed as they wished.

As Hammerson decided to put the money into the (failed/failing) Leeds Docks instead of Sheffield it seems that was the right call, wouldn't you say so?

You are right in some aspects, when planning was approved in 2006 Labour was in control of the council. By the time Hamersons revealed the name of the New Retail Quarter in 2007 no party was in overall control but by the time plans were firmed up in 2008 the liberals took control and remained in power until 2010 and Paul Scriven was still leader with no overall control until 2010. It was on his watch that things started to fall apart, it was also the time of the world’s financial meltdown but I don’t blame him for that. Another factor to put in to the story is, according to Wiki, “On 17 June 2010, the Coalition Government, just weeks after its formation, announced the suspension of £12 million of central funding toward the project.”

The time line given by Wikipedia is:

The Outline Planning Application was approved by the Council in August 2006. The Secretary of State confirmed by letters dated 25 September 2006 and 9 October 2006 that he did not wish to intervene, and that the decision as to whether to grant outline planning permission and the associated listed building consents would therefore remain with the Council. The Section 106 Agreement was completed in November 2006 and outline planning permission and associated listed building consents were issued that month.

In October 2007, developers Hammerson unveiled the official marketing name for the New Retail Quarter as Sevenstone] The branding was welcomed by business and political leaders in Sheffield.

In March 2008, a three-day public exhibition displayed the plans for Sevenstone in Sheffield City Centre. Local press described the reactions of Sheffield citizens to the plans as 'mixed'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Retail_Quarter#Concept_and_original_scheme