Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

This thread is surely reflecting the Forum at its best. LadyStar- agree with you in many respects-especially about Nottingham. One of the biggest urban myths about Sheffield is the scale of the damage done to central Sheffield by the Luftwaffe.Its arguable that more damage was wrought by the Council post war. Some of the thoughts on Sheffield's historic buildings expressed by Councillors and presumably planners that I have come across have left me in a cold sweat

What's the level of asbestos in these old buildings?

The pepperpot building was only an example of the buildings threatened by the Sevenstone scheme. Others included the Bethel Street Chapel (a listed building), the former City Bar, the Tiger Works and the Trafalgar Works. The last two were in fact demolished before the scheme foundered. They were meant to make way for a multi-story car park which never got built.

The last two were also eyesores - old and run down.

I can't believe people are resigned to the loss of the Pepperpot building because it is 'unsuitable' for modern shops.

The idea of turning it into something like the Forum on Division Street is excellent and really could work.

The current Sevenstone scheme proposes the retention of the Salvation Army Citadel - another valuable and unique building - which, I would have thought, is even more 'unsuitable' than the Pepperpot.

So if the Citadel can be incorporated into the scheme, come on Sheffield City Council, insist on the same for the Pepperpot and the Bethel Sunday School.

I can't believe people are resigned to the loss of the Pepperpot building because it is 'unsuitable' for modern shops.

The idea of turning it into something like the Forum on Division Street is excellent and really could work.

The current Sevenstone scheme proposes the retention of the Salvation Army Citadel - another valuable and unique building - which, I would have thought, is even more 'unsuitable' than the Pepperpot.

So if the Citadel can be incorporated into the scheme, come on Sheffield City Council, insist on the same for the Pepperpot and the Bethel Sunday School.

If The Forum shops were "excellent and really could work" and were still there you might have a point. They have been a sports bar for around 4 years.

The Salvation Army Citadel has been available for a new occupier for around 10 years (pre-dating Sevenstone) but it's still empty.

Change is often tough to accept but accept it we must when the world has moved on.

We ought to rename Fargate, Phonegate as it is little more than a parade of mobile phone shops.

The Moor is living proof of how backward, negative and out-of-touch our council is. An embarrassment they're obviously happy to live with.

The city centre remains anti-car (I see on-street parking prices have increased again) and the council clearly do not understand how many potential city centre shoppers they're directing to Meadowhall.

And if that parade of shops on Pinstone Street is demolished then I'd like to see criminal charges brought in for what is nothing more than sheer destruction.

It would be futile to even dare to compare our backwater city with the likes of Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool.

I do not understand why the council wants to demolish all that make Sheffield individual and turn it into a clone city like Leeds or Manchester. Yes it is good to look at what makes other cities successful and try to learn from that but it shouldn't be copied wholesale.

I don't agree with businesses being ousted and buildings being demolished on Cambridge street but the Moor should be redeveloped as it currently looks like a post apolcalyptic wasteland...

If it is absolutley necessary to create a mall type enclosed shopping centre in Sheffield could it not be sympathetic to architecturally interesting buildings as was done in Leopold Square? Rather than going crazy with a wrecking ball. Just because every town has one why should we?

If The Forum shops were "excellent and really could work" and were still there you might have a point. They have been a sports bar for around 4 years.

Have you been in the forum recently there are still shops there! There aren't as many as there used to be I suspect the owners decided it wasn't comercially viable to have the building like Afflecks Palace in Manchester, the way it was when I was a teenager.

Personally I don't see the Sevenstones scheme actually happening due to economic circumstances; however, if it does it should be scaled back as many businesses are retail space and going online. Personally I think rates should be lowered around Cambridge Street to encourage business and the buildings should be preserved. Make it like the Northern Quarter in Manchester Guess I'm a bit of a traditionalist but not all new architecture is good.

Edited by 42_sunsets
Spelling

Given that the majority of Sheffielders haven't a clue what the Pepperpot is why can't you believe it?

And the building isn't that particularly memorable anyway.