Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

easy to criticise , yes ,when fools are in charge . how do other cities manage to finance development in a far quicker timescale ?

The developers don't constantly drag their heels, breaking promise after promise, until it's obvious that they cannot be trusted. Currently the council are looking for new developers to finance and build this plan.

Edited by JFKvsNixon

Delays over announcing new developer for Retail Quarter. Comrade Dore and Boy Blunder Bramall flapping around trying to put a positive spin on the delays.

Sound familiar ? :hihi::hihi:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/updated-we-are-confident-sheffield-retail-quarter-will-still-open-on-time-says-council-chief-after-delay-emerges-1-7442089

This is getting boring :hihi:

And Ms Dore fobbing Sheffielders off by playing the usual confidentiality card. Although this time it was 'extremely confidential'. Still progress I suppose

Went to Donny today, first time in years. Roads have been improved and easy access into town centre. Parking three pound for whole day. Frenchgate center was clean and good shops but the market, absolutely bloody great. Great food, lovely veg and fruit at very reasonable prices. The meat bought has been cooked and eaten, it was delicious. The sea food and partridges will be eaten tomorrow.

In short does not matter what they do in Sheffield I have transferred my shopping allegiance the twenty miles to Doncaster, can highly recommend it.

Went to Donny today, first time in years. Roads have been improved and easy access into town centre. Parking three pound for whole day. Frenchgate center was clean and good shops but the market, absolutely bloody great. Great food, lovely veg and fruit at very reasonable prices. The meat bought has been cooked and eaten, it was delicious. The sea food and partridges will be eaten tomorrow.

In short does not matter what they do in Sheffield I have transferred my shopping allegiance the twenty miles to Doncaster, can highly recommend it.

Good for you - but I would rather not do a 40 mile round trip to get the same shops I can get 4 miles away from my front door.

I agree Doncaster frenchgate is a substantial improvement to the town. However, its not all perfect. Waterdale is a dump and the empty coop/tj's building with its revolving door tenants is not a great asset in the middle of the town either.

Grass is always greener and all that.

Sheffield IS slowly being improved. You cannot fail to notice the building work which is ongoing. Its takes time and has been subject to some massive delays. People need to be patient.

Some projects fail. That's life. But, this constant comparisons and one upmanship over every little thing is not helping either.

Problem is though is that Sheffield city centre is anti car. One ways bus/tram gates everywhere. As for empty buildings think Sheffield wins that hands down, car parks not near where you want to shop and expensive. As I live at side of M1 it is as quick to go to Donny and probably uses same amount of fuel as in Sheffield I would spend lots of time at traffic lights and do circuitous route due to the one ways etc.

Also whilst in Doncaster saw only one beggar and one chugger which again beats Sheffield hands down. Used to love shopping in Sheffield but bad experiences drives people away and it will be very hard to win them back, I unfortunately am not in a hurry to return.

Problem is though is that Sheffield city centre is anti car. One ways bus/tram gates everywhere. As for empty buildings think Sheffield wins that hands down, car parks not near where you want to shop and expensive. As I live at side of M1 it is as quick to go to Donny and probably uses same amount of fuel as in Sheffield I would spend lots of time at traffic lights and do circuitous route due to the one ways etc.

Also whilst in Doncaster saw only one beggar and one chugger which again beats Sheffield hands down. Used to love shopping in Sheffield but bad experiences drives people away and it will be very hard to win them back, I unfortunately am not in a hurry to return.

Sheffield isn't anti-car at all, such a tired argument. It isn't great for cars but that is to do with the fact it was never designed to be, which tends to be the case for all older town-centres for some reason?

I have hardly ever had a problem finding a space near where I want to be, it certainly is a hell of a lot easier than trying to get to the middle of Manchester, or, as I tried last week, get to the shops in Glasgow.

Its not true that SCC are anti car. Its just a co-incidence that the road network is a complete dogs dinner with wacky junctions, lots of unnecessary traffic lights, and pointless bus lanes. They just want to encourage thinking where the car is not the automatic first choice. And I do - for all of one second!

Go into Sheffield Centre??? Meadowhall for me thanks. They love cars and provide massive free car parks right on the doorstep.

SCC have already killed the city centre. Its a dead duck

Edited by Astonblade
pressed send too early!

While Frenchgate is good for Doncaster it doesn't even bring the shopping in Doncaster up to the standard of Sheffield the equivalent shops in Sheffield city centre are larger with more variety and that's without any real investment retail in the last two decades in Sheffield. Even a modest facility such as Frenchgate in Sheffield would be an improvement but we really ought to be aiming higher than that.