Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

It's clear they need to think again, no developer, no private funding. The smaller scale development on the Moor which was originally going to complete after Sevenstone is making good progress. ArFor me they need follow this model.

Yep! The model that does not involve these labour councillor muppets playing big shot developers (with our money). Leave it to professionals in the private sector. mark my words- their big announcement due February or March (as per their promise) will be nothing of any substance. That's if we even get one. It's already been delayed twice.

Bramhall mentioned today that the 500m investment was of Chinese origin. That's the first time I have heard this (although I may have missed it). but I can't help thinking this will allow the next delay being down to the turmoil in the Chinese economy.

how much longer must we let this go on???? :help::huh:gag:

The deputy leader of Sheffield City Council, Leigh Bramall, says the redevelopment of the retail quarter in Sheffield city centre is not guaranteed.

It's a development that's been on and off for years, with plans including the redevelopment of the area from John Lewis down to the top of the Moor.

Speaking on BBC Radio Sheffield earlier (17/02/16), Mr Bramall said the development is currently not certain to go ahead.

"We're working very hard to deliver a new retail quarter, but I make no guarantees."

Leigh Bramall

Deputy leader, Sheffield City Council

The deputy leader of Sheffield City Council, Leigh Bramall, says the redevelopment of the retail quarter in Sheffield city centre is not guaranteed.

It's a development that's been on and off for years, with plans including the redevelopment of the area from John Lewis down to the top of the Moor.

Speaking on BBC Radio Sheffield earlier (17/02/16), Mr Bramall said the development is currently not certain to go ahead.

"We're working very hard to deliver a new retail quarter, but I make no guarantees."

Leigh Bramall

Deputy leader, Sheffield City Council

The area should be refurbed immediately ,new businesses moved into the existing empty shops and pubs. the Cambridge Street area can then be an extension of the successful Division Street .

The citadel and pepper pot buildings will make good theatre or night club venues .

John Lewis store is fine where it is and does not look out of place on Barkers Pool.

No millions to spend with this plan just plain common sense .

The big shops are at Meadowhall served by the tram or free parking ,why alter that.

The area should be refurbed immediately ,new businesses moved into the existing empty shops and pubs. the Cambridge Street area can then be an extension of the successful Division Street .

The citadel and pepper pot buildings will make good theatre or night club venues .

John Lewis store is fine where it is and does not look out of place on Barkers Pool.

No millions to spend with this plan just plain common sense .

The big shops are at Meadowhall served by the tram or free parking ,why alter that.

What money tree is going to fund all this refurbishment?

What developer and contractor is going to magically appear and do the work?

What shops are going to be forced to move into buildings that are not fit for purpose either in size, style or with access appropriate for their needs?

NO the John Lewis store is not fine. Its stuck in a time warp. Its far too small for the range of products and service that most John Lewis stores have. Its lacking the customer facilities and concessions that most modern John Lewis stores have. Its building is far too restrictive to do anything useful and (I suspect) behind the scenes is a wreck.

The "big shops" are not just at Meadowhall. The whole city centre is filled with them too. Despite what lots of people think Not everyone WANTS TO or DOES shop at Meadowhall.

Far from common sense.

Until a developer wants to fund a development, there isn't an answer.

Exactly right.

When will people understand. Things cannot be forced.

The council can propose things, showcase, encourage and even part fund projects. Ideas are drawn up and sometimes even start. Some succeed. Others fail. Its the way of the world.

Despite what the permanent doom-mongers are saying, things ARE happening. Parts of the councils plan are being built as we speak. Other buildings are being renovated or already are re-opened. Right now others are being pulled down.

I have said before on this thread. Irrelevant of what the original grand plan was - I would rather see trickle feeds of improvements over nothing at all.

Exactly right.

When will people understand. Things cannot be forced.

The council can propose things, showcase, encourage and even part fund projects. Ideas are drawn up and sometimes even start. Some succeed. Others fail. Its the way of the world.

Despite what the permanent doom-mongers are saying, things ARE happening. Parts of the councils plan are being built as we speak. Other buildings are being renovated or already are re-opened. Right now others are being pulled down.

I have said before on this thread. Irrelevant of what the original grand plan was - I would rather see trickle feeds of improvements over nothing at all.

Things can't be forced but the poll at the top of this page suggests a vote of no confidence in this council being able to deliver what they have been 'working very hard' to deliver for getting on for 20 years. Funny how pretty much every other city in the country has seen substantial city centre schemes delivered in this period.

This council doesn't have to demonstrate competence at anything because it knows Sheffielders will vote them in whatever happens. They have a free ride an so just bumble along from blunder to blunder