Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

No. Unfortunately the developers need to work in partnership with the council to come up with a realistic plan in a city centre redevelopment scheme. If they could tip up, plan, redevelop and go without involving the council we would have had a shiny new city centre by now.

So don't believe that the problem is the issue of finances?

They didn't "block" Ikea. Ikea originally sought to develop the old YEB site on Parkway Avenue, which was not in an area zoned for retail, so didn't comply with planning policy and was deemed to have significant detrimental impacts, so, as I recall, Ikea withdrew it and went off to look for another site. They then later applied for consent at the Tinsley Wire site and got it.

Most people aren't very aware of planning policy and don't understand it, which is probably why they find some decisions strange.

The Council don't "give" land to developers. On developments like Sevenstone, they can use their powers to assemble the site and then sell the land to the developer. Of course there is a buy-back clause in the event of the development failing, which I believe has been exercised in the case of Sevenstone.

I had no involvement with developments like this, but I heard that Hammersons did have an agreement to start the Sevenstone development by a particular date, but they asked the Council to defer it. Council reluctantly agreed, but the timescale dragged on and on and the Council finally lost patience with them and "divorced" them from the partnership. I guess we will never know the real reasons why Hammerson didn't want to commit to Sevenstone.

We've seen similar things happen in other towns (Bradford was one as I recall), so it's not exclusive to Sheffield.

Really ? That giant Macro store must be a mirage then .

That's not retail, it's wholesale.

Really, it's both. As a wholesaler, it's quite expensive compared to discount retailers. So it probably makes enough from wholesalers (or business-owners) who do their personal retail shopping there, but it lost its USP when Sunday Trading laws were liberalised.

They didn't "block" Ikea. Ikea originally sought to develop the old YEB site on Parkway Avenue, which was not in an area zoned for retail, so didn't comply with planning policy and was deemed to have significant detrimental impacts, so, as I recall, Ikea withdrew it and went off to look for another site. They then later applied for consent at the Tinsley Wire site and got it. .

I'm reliably informed that they did block IKEA on Parkway and that the Tinsley Wire location had the same planning zone designation. What changed was that NEXT won a planning appeal that cost the council millions and destroyed the council's excuses for preventing IKEA coming to Sheffield.