Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Another story in The Star today stating that there are no plan in place.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/new-plan-call-on-long-awaited-sheffield-retail-quarter-1-7803989

i knew that all the promises last year were just pre-election bull poop.

Just shows that our current leftie labour council are more interested in cycle paths than making this city an attractive proposition for investment in the north.

Im not sure that they can be trusted with the fund of £30m a year promised from devolution.

You always seem to get the wrong end of the stick.

The Star article you link to (but apparently haven't read) is about some local action group calling for the development to be done by locals. Otherwise there is no change to what the council last announced.

The £30m devolution money is nothing to do with the council. It's the budget for a regional mayor whose remit will cover all of South Yorkshire and part of Derbyshire.

Why don't you do a little bit of research before posting your uninformed rubbish on here.

You always seem to get the wrong end of the stick.

The Star article you link to (but apparently haven't read) is about some local action group calling for the development to be done by locals. Otherwise there is no change to what the council last announced.

The £30m devolution money is nothing to do with the council. It's the budget for a regional mayor whose remit will cover all of South Yorkshire and part of Derbyshire.

Why don't you do a little bit of research before posting your uninformed rubbish on here.

Rubbish? The group have said that they want to take the initiative because they cannot see the council completing this project.

Been waiting 10 years and still not seen any progress. But £42m has been spent. And now we have a 3% increase in council tax.

Its the Universities that are dragging this city forward....if it wasnt for them we'd be 25 years behind Leeds instead of 10 years.

The evidence points towards incompetency and failure. Im entitled to my opinion.

Edited by AmourDesign

Rubbish? The group have said that they want to take the initiative because they cannot see the council completing this project.

Been waiting 10 years and still not seen any progress. But £42m has been spent. And now we have a 3% increase in council tax.

Its the Universities that are dragging this city forward....if it wasnt for them we'd be 25 years behind Leeds instead of 10 years.

The evidence points towards incompetency and failure. Im entitled to my opinion.

The article, which you still don't seem to have read, doesn't say anything about the group taking "the initiative because they cannot see the council completing this project". The only reason they give to putting forward their views is that they want any investors to be local so that all profits can remain local. But they don't name any potential local investors or any plan - financial, architectural, anything really - at all that would replace outside investors. It's just some people saying something should happen without explaining how that's going to happen or proving they have the means to make it happen.

The 3% council tax rise has nothing to do with this. The article points out that £35m of the £43m was spent on buying up land which the council would have to have bought up anyway in order to build on.

The universities have nothing to do with this either. They're not mentioned in the article. This is all about retail. Students don't come to study in Sheffield for the retail. I also think you've got the 10 and 25 years the wrong way round unless you mean that the universities have made things worse.

It'll be the destination of this years big jolly to 'find a construction partner'

Rumours have it the right company can be found on an all-inclusive Caribbean cruise this summer.

Good luck fella's, sounds like tough work!

Any official announcement on this years council Jolly yet ?

I know they enjoyed the Cannes holiday a couple of years ago :hihi::hihi:

still no news . are they waiting for the local elections to bring out a massive announcement ?

They're not supposed to do that - because such an announcement would look good for the incumbents, it's against the purdah rules (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purdah_(pre-election_period). So, given that the elections are exactly 6 weeks away from today, I wouldn't be surprised if we hear nothing now until after the election.

Shops in Grosvenor hotel block likely to be given notice to quit by 1st July, this would seem to indicate that something is in the offing though it's not been in the public domain as yet.

They seem fairly committed to fully demolishing the Grosvenor Hotel block, but I'm not sure that necessarily means we should have more confidence in much happening after that. The council may look to demolish parts of the site in order to encourage developers to get started with development (not unreasonable and not an unusual tactic either in Sheffield or elsewhere), however I'm not sure it'll make much difference in this case.

But I should admit I don't have reliable sources like walkleymum

They seem fairly committed to fully demolishing the Grosvenor Hotel block, but I'm not sure that necessarily means we should have more confidence in much happening after that. The council may look to demolish parts of the site in order to encourage developers to get started with development (not unreasonable and not an unusual tactic either in Sheffield or elsewhere), however I'm not sure it'll make much difference in this case.

Fair point but they will be giving up the rents from all the independent shops involved just to create a bombsite and the demolition would be at cost to the Sheffield ratepayers.