Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

How am I supposed to know? The occupants will be announced in time. You just don't like the fact that something looks to be finally happening with this. You'd rather things stay as they are so you can slag the council off. Funny that you spend a lot of time on here criticising the fact that the council is doing nothing but when things start to happen you go into denial.

well, lets just say that after all this time, this bunch of amateurs give us enough reason to criticise

Plans for an new retail quarter here have been written in to Sheffield's Masterplan for yonks. I can't beleive any current occupants can seriously say they aren't aware of any potential redevelopment.

All the occupants are aware. They are just afraid that they'll vacate the shops and nothing will happen. Nothing has been signed as yet so it's feared that the shops will simply be left empty for more years.

If a deal with a developer is signed, then fine, things can get moving.

Why am I doubtful, well 4 years ago I and others were asked to leave our shops by SCC as the buildings were to be demolished, they're still standing empty!

All the occupants are aware. They are just afraid that they'll vacate the shops and nothing will happen. Nothing has been signed as yet so it's feared that the shops will simply be left empty for more years.

If a deal with a developer is signed, then fine, things can get moving.

Why am I doubtful, well 4 years ago I and others were asked to leave our shops by SCC as the buildings were to be demolished, they're still standing empty!

and still we wait

Proposals for Sheffield’s long-awaited retail quarter will finally be debated by planners this summer - months later than hoped.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/date-set-for-sheffield-s-480m-retail-dream-to-be-decided-1-7832799

Documents submitted as part of outline proposals for the £480m destination of shops, homes and offices, which council bosses hope will transform the city centre’s fortunes, reveal applications will be ‘presented to committee in early June.’

It was originally hoped the plans would be decided on late last year.

Demolition of the Grosvenor Hotel House Hotel for the scheme was also expected to start in December but will now take place in the next three months, while an announcement on the chosen developer was due in March, but will be in ‘spring or early summer.’

Bosses insist that work has been progressing behind the scenes and they are confident the retail scheme - which replaces the failed Sevenstone dream - will go ahead with the first phase complete by 2019.

“It is crucial for the city’s development and we are confident that it will happen”, said Simon Green, executive director of place at the council.

“But as with all things worth waiting for it can take a little bit longer.

“A few months here is absolutely nothing in comparison to the disappointment of having to part ways with the previous development partner.”

Sheffield is the last major city centre in the country without a significant retail development, and council bosses say developers are keen to be involved, with the three shortlisted refining their plans to make them ‘better and better’.

Mr Green added: “It has to have a generational impact or its not worth doing.

“We are really the last major core city without a fully developed retail offer in the city centre, which is big news in the retail industry so they do want to work with us but it does take a little longer because they want to keep coming up with ways of improving the product.”

Delays are also said to be down to complexities of the project, including negotiations to secure the first phase of the quarter with retail and offices for a ‘major blue chip company’, purchasing land back from Sevenstone developer Hammerson and the legal process of moving tenants ahead of demolition.

One of the biggest questions surrounding the retail quarter is what would happen to Sheffield’s John Lewis store, currently the most premium retailer in the city.

Original plans show a pedestrianised extension of Fargate heading through the current store in Barkers Pool and a ‘new generation’ department store on Charter Square, meaning the shop would have to be demolished.

An agreement has yet to be reached and bosses say only they are working together.

But they do say that the scheme will have to be able to ‘evolve’ with the times, combine multiple functions and integrate with the city.

“Other towns and cities have retail developments where it is just a retail box”, said Mr Green.

“That’s great if you are on the inside of the box but those on the outside suffer - it is not part of the city centre.”

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/date-set-for-sheffield-s-480m-retail-dream-to-be-decided-1-7832799

I'm sick of hearing about this plan.

They were going on about it nearly ten years ago and all we've got are empty shops along Cambridge Street. I note that Sheffield Money opened up there recently so not sure if that row of shops is now going to be demolished. Can't they do anything right?

I asked the barbers opposite Debenhams if there are any plans for them to move out and they told me 'none at all'. I asked as I thought with the Grovenor Hotel being demolished that the attached shops would be too - meaning they would have to re-locate.

How am I supposed to know? The occupants will be announced in time. You just don't like the fact that something looks to be finally happening with this. You'd rather things stay as they are so you can slag the council off. Funny that you spend a lot of time on here criticising the fact that the council is doing nothing but when things start to happen you go into denial.

Quoted for truth.

Quoted for truth.

what is the truth ? who are the developers ? when is it all due to start ? why the great delay ? are john lewis staying or going ? why after all these years there is still no sign of development ,when other cities have already been developed ?

what is the truth ? who are the developers ? when is it all due to start ? why the great delay ? are john lewis staying or going ? why after all these years there is still no sign of development ,when other cities have already been developed ?

I think A.J. Ayer had some interesting ideas regarding that question :)