Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

These are my thought exactly, there are some nice frontages in that area, which should be preserved. Once demolished, they are gone for good.

Have you not checked the plans that the link published earlier refer to? They will indeed preserve the frontages of those buildings that the consider to have merit - including the ones on Pinstone St. The new developments will go up behind them, with 'terraces' linking the original rooflines to the new high rise.

Whether the footfall is there to support areas like this without new, large shop units I don't know, but Division St shops seem reasonably stable.

I think this is the crux of the issue unfortunately. Keep as much of the Pinstone Street frontages as possible, yes, but a lot of the stuff deeper in to that little 'quarter' is sadly very dated for the purposes of modern retail/leisure premises, despite it containing a lot of character. I don't honestly know if merely revamping the road surfaces (pedestrianisation?) and cleaning up the walls would be enough to allow it to thrive either with chains or independants.

John Lewis and the back of Co-op etc. creates perhaps the biggest problem - so much dead street that you can't do anything with.

• 3 weeks later...
any news ? owt happening any time soon ?

Not anytime soon for example the former ' Cutlers' pub is now used as a digital art space called ' Dina' they have a lease for roughly two years. The Governor House Hotel has been stripped out to a shell and that has been done . The rest of the buildings are either derelict or on short term leases. Do any of the new plans show what the former Salvation Army Citadel will be used for ?

• 2 weeks later...