Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

• 2 months later...

Will the £600 million funding come in for the Sevenstone development? Somewhat irrelevant if the council's compulsary purchase plans are not concluded by July 2011 anyway, I think that it's dead in the water, they are even re letting empty units.

Will Debenhams and BHS throw in the towel and close their stores on The Moor? Will the market project go ahead, if so will it re generate The Moor?

Will the likes of Specsavers and Vision Express, along with the plethora of mobile phone shops in the city centre survive the competition from the supermarkets?

I suppose what I am asking is, will Sheffield City Centre be somewhere to shop anymore?

There will always be a place to shop in the city centre but I think for the time being at least any talk of regeneration will be somewhat curtailed.

Personally I'm pleased the sevenstone city centre assimilation will not be going ahead because I don't want Sheffields character to be ruined by the greedy high street retailers.

You can always hop on a tram and nip up to Meadowhall if that's your bag.

Edited by NorthernStar

The Moor area will degenerate even more once the new market hall opens. They are just moving Waingate down the Moor along with the misfits that frequent the market areas. Iit surprises me that Debenhams and BHS still trade down the Moor when it is the domain of market stalls, burger bars and charity shops?

There is no doubt that the current markets area is pretty vile. Does the CCTV system stretch down there? If not, why not extend it? Place some of the excellent Ambassadors and night security staff in the area and operate a low tolerance to the anti social behaviour that seems to be so well controlled in the Town/City hall area.

The Moor area will degenerate even more once the new market hall opens. They are just moving Waingate down the Moor along with the misfits that frequent the market areas. Iit surprises me that Debenhams and BHS still trade down the Moor when it is the domain of market stalls, burger bars and charity shops?

There will always be a place to shop in the city centre but I think for the time being at least any talk of regeneration will be somewhat curtailed.

Personally I'm pleased the sevenstone city centre assimilation will not be going ahead because I don't want Sheffields character to be ruined by the greedy high street retailers.

You can always hop on a tram and nip up to Meadowhall if that's your bag.

What character is there in the shopping district? The Moor and Fargate is the primary shopping centre, is it really a bad thing if the "character" of these places are lost?

What character is there in the shopping district? The Moor and Fargate is the primary shopping centre, is it really a bad thing if the "character" of these places are lost?

I'm not against regeneration per se but Sheffield does have a character that would be eroded by creating a retail hell, I have lived in other cities where this has happened.

For me, I dislike the pretentious attitude that comes with such developments and in my opinion this is a negative, I don't want to see Sheffields unique identity to be erased and replaced with a snobby sales environment.

The additional knock on effect from this situation is that the remaining old character pubs in the vicinity will be bought up by pub chains who's intention will be to turn them into noisy unfriendly places for silly binge drinking kids to show their silly overpriced designer gear.

I'm just hoping that the one good thing to come out of this fiasco is that it will give the developers a chance to come up with something better.

I'm not against regeneration per se but Sheffield does have a character that would be eroded by creating a retail hell, I have lived in other cities where this has happened.

For me, I dislike the pretentious attitude that comes with such developments and in my opinion this is a negative, I don't want to see Sheffields unique identity to be erased and replaced with a snobby sales environment.

The additional knock on effect from this situation is that the remaining old character pubs in the vicinity will be bought up by pub chains who's intention will be to turn them into noisy unfriendly places for silly binge drinking kids to show their silly overpriced designer gear.

I'm just hoping that the one good thing to come out of this fiasco is that it will give the developers a chance to come up with something better.

I think we would all like to see the heart of town replaced with quaint, cobbled streets with stunning architecture but we all know that its a complete pipe dream.

I don't understand people who worry about loosing character from the shopping area. Presently, its a depressing post war eyesore that attracts middle aged men drinking cheap cider at 9am, mobile phone shops and Poundland.

The area chosen for Sevenstone is currently a horrible glass building (Chavbrace), an ageing department store (John Lewis) and several blocks of either nothing whatsoever or 1960's buildings thrown up and then vandalised over a period of 40 years.

Sevenstone might not be to everyone's taste, but surely anything is better than what's there at present. Bradford might have a hole for its city centre, but ours is simply a ghost town in parts that should be vibrant.