Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Council uses public money to bail out private development. Hey ho, we'll just cut a few more services to pay for it. Gotta have somewhere bright 'n shiny to buy our plastic Chinese made tat.

Its called investment in the city. Why shouldn't they? After all, public money was always part of the scheme right from day one.

Would you perhaps prefer the scheme to collapse altogether and leave a big hole in the middle of the city.

No wonder this city never develops....... Its funny to think there is another thread on here complaining why Sheffield is such a dump and why we are always behind places like Leeds and Manchester.... hmmmm

Interesting story in the Star, I don't think they got this one from the forum.

"LONG-DELAYED plans to create a £600 million shopping mecca in Sheffield face further setbacks as time runs out for the council to find the cash for a £20m bailout.

Is that the same money that last promised by the last government to fund compulsory purchase orders which was subsequently reneged on by the current government because they need to find money immediately for the £6billion in savings needed to fund their election pledge?

Pretty short-sighted policymaking really.

For now I can't help but think it is a good thing, I dreaded the idea. Don't get me wrong I'm all for regeneration but the proposition looked bloody terrible to me.

Perhaps when the next regeneration is proposed, the ideas won't come from blinkered sheep who lack real vision, imagination and originality.

Hopefully a new train of thought might not be so into homogeneous city centres.

Merely, copying other places is both gutless and dull, I want to see real design and innovation with an interest in making good places for Sheffield people not just sad and miserable types with no life and too much spare cash.

For now I can't help but think it is a good thing, I dreaded the idea. Don't get me wrong I'm all for regeneration but the proposition looked bloody terrible to me.

Perhaps when the next regeneration is proposed, the ideas won't come from blinkered sheep who lack real vision, imagination and originality.

Hopefully a new train of thought might not be so into homogeneous city centres.

Merely, copying other places is both gutless and dull, I want to see real design and innovation with an interest in making good places for Sheffield people not just sad and miserable types with no life and too much spare cash.

Bearing in mind the current financial situation and that most property companies are barely surviving, what would you propose? If you think anyone else is going to want to spend more than £600M on our city centre then you're a very optimistic individual indeed.

Bearing in mind the current financial situation and that most property companies are barely surviving, what would you propose? If you think anyone else is going to want to spend more than £600M on our city centre then you're a very optimistic individual indeed.

We are currently going through financial problems, but if you really think its the end of the road and nothing will ever progress again your very a very pessimistic individual indeed.

Hopefully by the time things pick up again (and they will) then the attitudes towards progress will have improved somewhat.

• 6 months later...