Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

I'm sure I saw on Look North recently that some new shopping centre being built in Leeds is now Hammerson's number one priority. If that's true, how come theirs is going ahead and ours is still languishing with some unspecified pie-in-the-sky start date?QUOTE]

Do you mean Trinity in Leeds? Due to open early 2013

http://www.trinityleeds.com/

Jesus wept :roll: You really are rather sad..obsessed with a new shopping centre :love:

They are setting up in Leeds because it is an upbeat, lively city that fits the image of their company. They are avoiding Sheffield because the city centre is mostly run down and miserable and as a whole, Sheffield has a working class chip on its shoulder, complete with a hard left Labour council. Posh companies don't want to invest in places or deal with people like that.

They are setting up in Leeds because it is an upbeat, lively city that fits the image of their company. They are avoiding Sheffield because the city centre is mostly run down and miserable and as a whole, Sheffield has a working class chip on its shoulder, complete with a hard left Labour council. Posh companies don't want to invest in places or deal with people like that.

Sad to say, I think you're spot-on with that assessment.

As it happens, we're supposed to have quite a few wealthy people in Sheffield (probably in the south & west of the city) - so I imagine for anything other than grocery shopping, they take their money elsewhere to spend - maybe Leeds or Manchester?

I've suggested it before. We don't need new development; the building for an indoor shopping centre already exists.

With additional development, the Old Post Office in Fitzalan Square, lying derelict and unloved would be ideal. It looks the part, is an old, respected building and is in a wonderful location, especially if the Riverside Development and the Castle Regeneration is seriously going to happen.

Develop that and let's have an outdoor market in Fitzalan Square and use what should be a lovely, traditional area of town.

Add to that, tram-, bus- and even train-links, what are we waiting for?

This is a tad absurd if you are suggesting an equivalent of the Sevenstone plans or even scaled down Sevenstone plans. The Post Office building is undoubtedly beautiful and is in great need of a good use to bring it back in to use like it should be but if you look at the building properly and any aerial shots of the site compared to Sevenstone you'll surely notice that the building is no where near wide enough to accomodate even moderately sized stores and the whole site (including the disused bit round the back) is about a 5th the size of the full Sevenstone site.

I like your idea for something if it's for something more low-key and for independant stores which generally need smaller units.

Keeping the existing buildings on the Sevenstone site is a nice romantic notion but for the most part, pretty unfunctional. The kind of units the high street chains really want (and they are needed because they are the ones that bring in the money - sad but true) are bigger, simpler shapes and with better access than could be provided with the existing infrastructure. That's why retailers would rather have a new building on the site and have little interest in a refurbished cupboard at the foot of the Grosvenor Hotel.

I've suggested it before. We don't need new development; the building for an indoor shopping centre already exists.

With additional development, the Old Post Office in Fitzalan Square, lying derelict and unloved would be ideal. It looks the part, is an old, respected building and is in a wonderful location, especially if the Riverside Development and the Castle Regeneration is seriously going to happen.

UOTE]

Lovely building but a shopping centre it could never be!