Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Good. The last thing we need is more out of town shopping developments. Foucus needs to be on the completing the city centre development.

Next already has 7 outlets within the sheffield/barnsley/rotherham areas. Did we really need another one?

I generally agree with your sentiment but sorry, this is the real world. It would have provided jobs which will now not be relocated anywhere else in the city. It really would not have made a difference to Sevenstone happening* and the council seem to think that undermining Meadowhall-based investor confidence can only have a positive effect on the city centre; no it won't - People will look at the mess that is Sheffield City Centre and think, "We're not building there" and then look at Meadowhall and think "We're not welcome there".

"Pfft, let's go to Nottingham"

* as in, no amount of extensions or keeping Meadowhall as is will effect the future of the City Centre. People who still argue that Meadowhall's existence is the major reason for the city centres continuing crappiness are deluded.

Next already has 7 outlets within the sheffield/barnsley/rotherham areas. Did we really need another one?

The article states:

A three-storey Next store that would sell home furnishing products such as furniture, beds, fabrics, kitchenware, flooring and bathroom equipment as well as feature a garden centre. No fashions would be sold.

Do any of these 7 other outlets operate like this?

By the same logic, there was already a McDonalds at Meadowhall RP. Did we really need another one just three minutes drive away at Darnall?

Well, if the 'artist's impression' is anything to go by I hope the darn thing never sees the light of day.

We've only just knocked down a similar looking 'complex' in the name of Broomhall Flats, aka Concrete Jungle. When it comes to ugly, this council sure knows how to pick a winner.

As ever, Sheffield will remain a quiet little backwater in the world of commerce and aspiration.

I await the parade of pound shops on our fab 'new look' Moor.....,

As I mentioned in another thread, it seems to me that the thing holding Sheffield back is the presence of the John Lewis store.

The developments, and associated jobs, that have been rejected, Next Home and Ikea for example, have one thing in common. They are direct competition for John Lewis.

So CrazyDazy do you want John Lewis to move to say Meadowhall or quit Sheffield altogether? If our city centre was properly redeveloped then there would be room and competition for everyone. I recently visited Leeds and Preston and found them both to be alot more shopper friendly than Sheffield.

If we are not going to have the damned redevelopment then re-open the closed shops and put life back into our city centre.

So CrazyDazy do you want John Lewis to move to say Meadowhall or quit Sheffield altogether? If our city centre was properly redeveloped then there would be room and competition for everyone. I recently visited Leeds and Preston and found them both to be alot more shopper friendly than Sheffield.

If we are not going to have the damned redevelopment then re-open the closed shops and put life back into our city centre.

I quite agree. But attracting quality retail to invest in Sheffield will take more than John Lewis and a plethora of pound shops. Leeds has an out of town Ikea and is getting major retail investment. The two are not exclusive.

They've got to get tough with Hammerson because they are taking us for mugs. Also it's no good posting hoped-for start dates, what about certain finished dates? People and business are probably already losing interest in Sheffield and are giving up the ghost and moving elsewhere. We need some definite good news on this and some part of it to be finished as soon as possible.

But please give it a different name, 7-Stone Weakling is rubbish and an embarrassment. They may listen to this suggestion now because it's clearly not the same deveopment any more. Keep the worthy old buildings too.