Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Clarence Dock - 45 units (inc. G-Star, Replay, Rock Couture)

Yeah and how many other units are occupied. Dont make me laugh. This dodo was on the news not so long ago for its lack of interest and tenants. I also know someone who dealt with the management of the construction of said project and they could not even fill speculative interest. Residential it maybe but other than that dont make it a big concern. We too have Victoria Quays area with 4 large hotels and a handful of "shops" We also have Kelham Island - a mixture of residential and watering holes. Just like clarence dock.

[/b][/i]

Spot on re Clarence Dock. An undisputed and huge failure. If the few retailers that took leases havent already left, they sure intend to at the first opportunity. Leeds has a few things to shout about but I tire of Draggletails constant cutting and pasting of the same old blurb ..Trinity this Trinity that... whilst ignoring the failures.

The Corn Exchange refurb is also a financial disaster that hasnt worked.

It could be argured that Harvey Nicholls hold the city centre to ransom. As the anchor for the VQ, if they decide to up and leave the whole scheme could die and Leeds's 'upmarket' shopping image would die with it. They only went there on the basis they pay zero rent.

Victoria Quarter - Harvey Nichols, Paul Smith, Louis Vuitton

Nobody in Sheffield would buy from these shops. People think John Lewis is a rip off.

This is complete nonsense as loads of people have to from Sheffield travel to Leeds/Manchester so they can spend there money in these stores. I know many people that do this regularly.

People seem to forget that there are a huge number of Sheffield people with plenty of disposable income.

So why are these stores not beating a path to occupy a unit it the city or even the great Meadowhall then?

Its nothing to do with the Council that for sure. Any hint that Harvey Nics of Mr Seflridge were looking they would jump at the chance.

The handful of people we have here who buy the occasional designer shirt in the sale is not going to match the affluence attracted by other cities.

In fact lets put a figure with this.....

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=9507091#post9507091

---------- Post added 21-01-2013 at 16:02 ----------

Once again, you're alone in your viewpoint ...

What makes you say then? One poster has very clearly agreed with my viewpoint. Another has not.

What did you want to say on the matter then? You spent you time listing all your glorious shopping areas up there. I told you exactly what we have down here. Nearly just as much (with some albeit on a much smaller but fully occupied scale)

So your point was?

Edited by ECCOnoob

This is complete nonsense as loads of people have to from Sheffield travel to Leeds/Manchester so they can spend there money in these stores. I know many people that do this regularly.

People seem to forget that there are a huge number of Sheffield people with plenty of disposable income.

Indeed, a trip around Leeds suburbs will suggest the majority of residents dont have 2 cents to rub together. Its one massive council estate and slum clearance area they forgot to clear

It could be argured that Harvey Nicholls hold the city centre to ransom. As the anchor for the VQ, if they decide to up and leaveQUOTE]

Have Harvey Nichols indicated that they're about to leave Leeds? :huh:

The £350million Trinity complex is fairly nearby the Victoria Quarter - it's likely that it'll create huge footfall in the heart of the town, and generate business for the surrounding areas as well. Time will tell how beneficial Trinity will be, when it opens in March - but it's unlikely that the big names would've invested, if they weren't sure it would do well.

Edited by Dragonfall

The city centre needs to be handed over to people who know about retail development. Presently it is in the hands of Bafoon`s who are more interested in self preservation and safeguarding their cosy jobs.
Bafoon'? Your standards are slipping.

Spot on re Clarence Dock. An undisputed and huge failure. If the few retailers that took leases havent already left, they sure intend to at the first opportunity. Leeds has a few things to shout about but I tire of Draggletails constant cutting and pasting of the same old blurb ..Trinity this Trinity that... whilst ignoring the failures.

The Corn Exchange refurb is also a financial disaster that hasnt worked.

It could be argured that Harvey Nicholls hold the city centre to ransom. As the anchor for the VQ, if they decide to up and leave the whole scheme could die and Leeds's 'upmarket' shopping image would die with it. They only went there on the basis they pay zero rent.

Would agree about the Clarence Dock shopping centre being a failure

the last time I visited there were about 7 units open these included up

market outlets like Pizza Express and a small Tesco

Then of course there was the Dark Arches Shopping center.

Another example of vacant units It is now a car park I think.

Leeds must also have "Bafoon's" in their planning departments as one poster on here

likes to call them

Edited by bazjea

Meadowhall had already been open for around 15 years when the council started messing around with the Sevenstone idea. Any idea that will only work if something that's been sucessfully trading for 15 years doesn't exist, is not a very good idea.

Not suggesting Meadowhall should be pulled down, but the reason why Central Sheffield is having problems. Sheffield isn`t big enough to sustain to large shopping centres.

The £350million Trinity complex is fairly nearby the Victoria Quarter - it's likely that it'll create huge footfall in the heart of the town, and generate business for the surrounding areas as well. Time will tell how beneficial Trinity will be, when it opens in March - but it's unlikely that the big names would've invested, if they weren't sure it would do well.

Who cares other than you?

Trinity Leeds is nothing more than a redone and slightly exanded Leeds Plaza. Most of the shops on the list are already there. There is probably less than 25 stores which are actually NEW. The rest are an extended or remodelled hash of what already exists.

All they have done is bought the three malls of the plaza plus the front units on briggate and put a roof on it.

You will find that most of the retailers on the list which are not already in the location do have existing branches elsewhere in the city. So what happens then? For every new unit you will end up with a closed one somewhere else.

Its not the second coming.... its a referb of an existing shopping precent.

WOW OMG Get me there now.

Do you forget that your other multi-millon pound rehash and referb of the Headrow (or Schofields) Centre was a complete disaster. Empty units for months and months on end with locals saying they simply went into get out of the rain. Oh and the The Light with its 34 units with only 1/3 filled.

Burton Arcade (renamed) Plaza (renamed) Trinity

Schofields Centre (renamed) Headrow Centre (renamed) The Core

The Light

VQ and Briggate

Leeds Markets

St Johns Centre

Merrion Centre

(proposed) Eastgate Quarter

All within one compact city area. All fighting for attention.

tick tick tick BOOM!

Something has got to give.

Oh, and lets not forget White Rose owned by the same company as Trinity. Hmmm. Start to run one down to sub the other maybe?

Edited by ECCOnoob