Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

^^^^^^^

THIS sad but oh so true

Just look at the posts on this forum "where can i dine out for under a fiver", "where's the cheapest place to buy such and such", "cheapest place for a night out in City Centre", "cheapest drinks in town"

Its embarrassing :(

Exactly. Have you seen the slating both John Lewis and Pondsford get for being overpriced and pretentious :D

It shames me to say this, but there's only a market for cheap tat in this city :(

Other big cities manage to accommodate more than one big retail area. As has just been posted by someone , Leeds has numerous retail centres ,all thriving and successful ,and all able to attract flagship stores . No , the problem here is sheffield council,simple as that. They have proven recently they have no vision and no ambition by their refusal to allow IKEA and NEXT to build massive stores in the city. They are a joke ,and until the city centre redevelopment is taken away from these idiots and put in the hands of successful retail businessmen who have experience in developing shopping centre ,then the city centre will remain the joke it presently is.

Leeds can support more shopping centres simply because there is more brass in that area. Edinburgh and Leeds are second only to London as financial centres... think bankers and bonuses. We lost most of our spending power when the steel industry was decimated.

Indeed, a trip around Leeds suburbs will suggest the majority of residents dont have 2 cents to rub together. Its one massive council estate and slum clearance area they forgot to clear

You've never been to Alwoodley, Moortown, Adel and Bramhope then, or any of the other North Leeds suburbs.

I'm with you agent orange

Just before Christmas I was in London Christmas shopping, a friend was in York, and other family was in Manchester, all live in Sheffield area, all spending a lot of money in these places, none of us will entertain shopping in town, if it wasn't for John Lewis and the independent shops in Div St area I'd never venture in.

You'd think so, wouldn't you, but just take a look around you. See the amount of cheap shops in the city, see the amount of posts on here that start with... "cheap" and the negative comments about places such as John Lewis :)

Hence the well overdue need for Sevenstone to get built.

I reiterate my point that a huge number of Sheffield folk regularly travel to nearby city to spend their dosh.

People make such comments about JL because its relatively expensive for mediocre products.

Edited by Unisol

Hence the well overdue need for Sevenstone to get built.

I reiterate my point that a huge number of Sheffield folk regularly travel to nearby city to spend their dosh.

I find it all very depressing. I long for the day I have a choice of shops to go in the city centre.