Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

No, you weren't dreaming. They mentioned it on Look North last night.

it aint ever going to happen the sevenstone development, developments are happening in other city centres, yet the doh doh's at scc say its the way things are economy etc, so why is leeds city centre being developed then. total mis management from scc and government agencies. its a farce. Lets get Lego to develop our city centre, it will be cheaper and actually get completed before sevenstone even lift a shovel!

So who is going to contact the planning department and get an actual statement from the council? The last thing I heard was that hammersons and the council were talking but I've not seen anything official after that. I do find it interesting that some members of this forum seem to delight in slagging off the council but don't seem in the least prepared to go and get some definite info. If the story is true though that hammerson are dragging their feet then I'd agree that they should be removed from the development and a new company brought in if a new company could be found. I'm no whizz kid on such issues but assume with a bit of digging and asking pertinent questions to the planning board i might be able to find out some accurate info and the names of the people who supply this info. In case anyone is wondering why I don't take up my own suggestion I have other things to keep me occupied and don't find shopping to be a fantastic way to spend my time

They probably had a look at the St Paul's flats and thought great idea, we'll go for a redesign and drag things out a bit longer, and give the design job to an out-of-work shelf stacker who'll have to work for nothing cos their job's now being done by an out-of-work geologist who's having to do it for nothing.

Yesterday, Hammerson released their audited results for the year ended 31 December 2012.

On page 11 is a table that shows that the earliest start date for Sevenstone is 2015 with potential completion in 2017.

Which in reality means it would be later than that if it ever happens at all. HS2 may arrive sooner. It's time to abandon the whole 'masterplan' and get some shops built or refurbed piecemeal.

Look at the Moor - a bit of effort and investment and things are happening. Down there it looks like a part of town that just might be worth visiting again in my lifetime. Whereas the 7-Stone thing is a total embarrassment.

So A bit of factual info so the next question from me would be would there be any financial loss to the city if Hammerson were taken out of the mix and another company brought in. I was in town a few days ago and thought the majority of the shops were open although I didn't go up Cambridge street and so that specific road may be a different matter. So the city is scarcely a sea of 'To let' signs or dirty/boarded up windows which some users seem to say.

I was in town a few days ago and thought the majority of the shops were open although I didn't go up Cambridge street and so that specific road may be a different matter. So the city is scarcely a sea of 'To let' signs or dirty/boarded up windows which some users seem to say.

Seriously? It's quite clear walking around Sheffield town centre, how down-at-heel & downmarket it is. There are numerous empty units on Pinstone St, Cambridge St, The Moor, Charter Square. Also, there are big 'holes' where the Sevenstone complex was supposed to be (Carver Street, Wellington Street). And the undeveloped back area of Cambridge Street looks like it's straight out of the Blitz!

Seriously? It's quite clear walking around Sheffield town centre, how down-at-heel & downmarket it is. There are numerous empty units on Pinstone St, Cambridge St, The Moor, Charter Square. Also, there are big 'holes' where the Sevenstone complex was supposed to be (Carver Street, Wellington Street). And the undeveloped back area of Cambridge Street looks like it's straight out of the Blitz!

I'll agree there are some empty units but that isn't the pervading impression, certainly not on Pinstone street anyway. The place was also busy with a lot of people walking around so something must be attracting them. The moor is getting a major facelift so it's scarcely suprising that some of the shops have been left empty as no-one would want to lease a shop unit for a few months only.

I'll agree there are some empty units but that isn't the pervading impression, certainly not on Pinstone street anyway. The place was also busy with a lot of people walking around so something must be attracting them. The moor is getting a major facelift so it's scarcely suprising that some of the shops have been left empty as no-one would want to lease a shop unit for a few months only.

The phrase 'rose-tinted spectacles' springs to mind ...

All because you have mostly had Labour in charge in Sheffield over decades!