Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

The phrase 'rose-tinted spectacles' springs to mind ...

Nope I can only state what i saw and although I'd love to see things change overnight I know in the real world that revamps can take time. I suppose we should be grateful that the city wasn't left with an empty building site where Sevenstone was supposed to be as Bradford was. I might take a wander up Cambridge street next time and actualy count the number of empty shops unless anyone reading this has already done so and so can save me a job.

all the anti-council posters on this site should have a look at Croyden for instance. All the same moans as you lot plus some and Tory led.

Would that be related to the Croydon that the hammerson are developing this year to the tune of the billion pounds?

Nope I can only state what i saw and although I'd love to see things change overnight I know in the real world that revamps can take time. I suppose we should be grateful that the city wasn't left with an empty building site where Sevenstone was supposed to be as Bradford was. I might take a wander up Cambridge street next time and actually count the number of empty shops unless anyone reading this has already done so and so can save me a job.

Nobody expects things to 'change overnight'. But it's been over a decade since Sevenstone was first conceived. Now we're told that it's been shelved until at least 2015. So 15yrs with nothing to show for the project, isn't exactly overnight. If there are firms, like Scottish Widows that do actually put their money where their mouth is (The Moor development) they should be encouraged to continue. SCC's let Hammersons lead them a merry dance.

And yes, we have been left with big empty building sites: note the afore-mentioned Carver Street/Wellington Street areas. Along with a deserted hotel, the Grosvenor, & other decaying 60s/70s buildings.

I really do think sheffeild council should concentrate on making the city centre an attractive place to visit for leisure, entertainment, eating out,and pleasure and leave the shopping and retail to the people who know what they are doing .........Meadowhall

Maybe they should stick to emptying the bins, maintaining the street lights etc.

Get the basics right first.

all the anti-council posters on this site should have a look at Croyden for instance. All the same moans as you lot plus some and Tory led.

Croydon council seem to be able to get retail development schemes off the ground and delivered, as a £1billion retail development by Hammerson and another company has been signed . Yes ,this is the same Hammerson that sheffield council have been begging to start building Sevenstone , but nothing ever happens. So it seems Croydon council arnt as inept as sheffield council ,and know how to get projects up and running and built.

http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2013/january/westfield-and-hammerson-sign-joint-venture-for-1bn-croydon-retail-development/

Edited by Penistone999

This isn't a political thing, Liverpool is simply thriving with shoppers and that's as Red as Sheffield, if not more so.

Its down to weak, poor management at the council, not the colour of their rosette. Whoever is in large is simply out of their depth.

Sheffield has been run by the Labour and Lib Dem parties over the last few years and neither have done a great job.

Sheffield City Centre is a mess and someone now has to step up and take control. If Sevenstones isnt going to be built then lets have someone in who will build what we need.